The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New life for 381! 4yr anniversary, Teins done, Simulated 430hp on Evo ECU

381gvr4

Quoting Garfield Wright:
How cold was the water?

Those pics were from back in August. Water was 68-72*. Not too bad, atleast by my standards. I have a 6/5/4mm wetsuit for when the temp is in the 30's.

Blizzard of 06'. Air temp 20*, Water temp 35*, winds 18-20mph..... it was chilly!
My boy Matt from Gansett.

Hey Russ I finally got my car running again we should
meet up sometime, by the way car looks awesome dude wish
I had the time and talent to do it like you have done
great job man...

381gvr4

Funny because my car isn't running. Go figure!!! I have to put my third alternator in... I'm getting good thou. 40 mins and done! Should be this coming week. We'll have to snap some pics.

381gvr4

Quoting Romanova:
Bump! Updates?

Actually, forgot about this....

This is about the only thing changed over the past few months. Swapped blacked out EXPLOD radio out of my parted Civic. After, had to paint AFC as it looked funky silver.

Alternator to come soon..... Nov 29th will be 2yrs since purchase of #381(Nov/07). Didn't drive her until 6/08. Must take her out on the town!

Last edited:

pwrneeds90

this car is sickkkkkkkkk props to you and your patience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif go know people in connecticut are representing

Ralli380Gvr4

Diggin' the blacked out AFC!

What method did you use? Did you just mask off the screen and buttons and rattle can it? I'm thinking I could that to my turbo timer, it's that same dingy silver...

381gvr4

^^^I was actually able to take it apart. Both screen and buttons came free from the case. I just sprayed and reassembled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

381gvr4

Took out the alternator today. Autozone unit had bits and pieces falling out! I ended up buying a brand new 90amp Bosch with a 2 yr warranty. Won't be here until the 20th. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

381gvr4

Well, in two days the new alternator will be here.

With the extra space, I was able to get on a 2G o2 shield over my EVOIII o2 housing. Ran to my local hardware store for SS hardware. Just had to drill out the EGT probe and trim/re-bow the opening for the W/G actuator arm. Hopefully this will lead to better alt. life for 381!!!

Even though I did buy a NIB OEM dipstick, it still would come up about a 1/16th" after a little beating. I was hesitant about messing with a new DS but like the result. I welded a small nut to the DS. Rounded the corners and drilled the threads out. Welded a hook to the DS tube to make it easy to secure. Played with springs at the hardware store until I found one with the tension I liked.......

Just need the alt. to put back together.

On Sunday I was fiddling in the garage and remembered the battery box situation. I didn't install it but it needed to be cleaned up. First off it had no tie down. Welded one up with a piece of vacuum line to act as a cushion. I spun the box as the POS/NEG were on the side that was visable. Now the wires are on the back side and not visable. Put the fuel pump rewire power thru the bottom and again, not visable. Was able to cut back almost 2FT of POS wire that was just tucked in and sloppy. Had put the ends on when I first picked up the car.
The improved version.....

Also on Sunday I started to piece back together all the trunk linings. They were there but not secured. Thru the trunk carpet in the washer and gave it a quick cleaning. Going to try to locate BNIB from a dealer cuz it has several stains. Velcro'd down the trunk floor because it used to slide around under agressive driving......

Thats it until the alt gets put in. Nice to get this stuff done while I was waiting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

381gvr4

^^^I made it. Welded a small nut on, rounded it on my bench grinder & drilled out the center. Only pic I took was after I painted it and before removing masking tape.

Its unbelievable the crap that kid did with my car after I sold it, but I'm happy you're getting it sorted back out nicely. Its like he purposely took things apart just to put it back together like crap.

381gvr4

Alternator is here!! Says in brochure non-commercial passenger cars are Lifetime Unlimited mileage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Hopefully I won't have to use the warranty ANYTIME soon!

Feeling really lazy, so tomorrow....

381gvr4

Fix one thing and have two more problems!!!!!

First off, interior lights are not coming on and power seatblets arent working until the car is started(?). Had my last alternator die and had to limp the car home. ECU was clicking and the car was shutting down. Charged battery to 12.6V so I don't know if its possibly a fuse.

When I had it running, I noticed gas smell and located a leak at the return on the FPR. Tomorrow I am going to run to buy new line. While I'm at it I'm going to finally get around to doing a -6 feed off of the fuel filter.

PROJECTS CONTINUE!!!! UGH!

Last edited:

381gvr4

Fixed the fuel line issue. Redid return to FPR and FPR to hardline. Didn't have the 12x1.25 fitting for the fuel filter so I am going to have to order it.

Also found ALT FUSE blown causing electrical issue.

Back to 100%. Just got my updated insurance card and I'm off to turn some miles!

Next is frt/rear camber kit with alignment(this coming week), A/C install in spring and start the little bit of body work. Paint would be great but not needed just yet!

-Russ

381gvr4

IT OFFICIAL(knock on wood!), #381 is all debugged. I picked up some Redline MT-90 and after draining the tranny I realized the PS axle seal was weeping. Had an extra that Jon(TRE) sent me when I ordered all my trans upgrades so it got replaced. Had Mobil1 for break-in and now she shifts like butter.... Ofcoarse with victory comes loss.... We have had some cold mornings and the other day the antenna coil broke so now my mast continuously winds when I turn the radio on. Also had a slight leak in rear from AWS and found it to be coming from the return. Slid the hose down further, added another clamp and golden /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Took some videos too..... Sorry so cheesy but I crammed the cam in the hole of my Starion headrest and went driving. The nice winding roads locally are residential so I didn't really go crazy. More of an agressive drive. The boost is set to 1bar(14.7psi) and highest R's were around 7k. I want to get to the dyno before 8500 shifts and turning the boost back up. On a 3076, 14psi isnt even close to its efficency point so I will update once she is all tuned up...

Flyby.....

Aggressive drive... Again, nothing crazy because I dont want to hurt anyone or 381! VERY impressed with the G's considering stock sway bars. Check out the air fresheners...

YOUTUBE VID: Windows cracked so its windy!!!
click

Whatcha think?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

381gvr4

Daily driving duties have been underway for the past month. Broke the 96k mark today. Its snowed about 3 times and i dont really want to drive her. Ver. 1.2 may be in the works. I really want to garage her and let it be my toy. For now DD duties continue. I keep telling myself I need to take it all apart again anyway to do all hardlijes in ss. Next time I will powdercoat instead of Eastwood. Not as durable as described and I had all my parts professionally blasted AND used all their products in recommended order for proper application!!

As a DD, its a blast. She's set at 15psi and is still a beast! 1st gear is useless due to cold weather. I spun all the way through second getting on the highway the other day. Keep in mind I like to DRIVE the car but not abuse it, slamming the awd.

I need a ebc to take it to the next step. Boost is inconsistant with my mbc above 15. I also put a deposit on a Aluminum Exhaust thru Tyler on here. Look forward that in the new year. Going to pick up 3" ss DP and have it all coated with the proceeds of selling my mild steel 3".

Thats it for now! Merry Christmas

Last edited:

381gvr4

Another update is on its way........

I have been slowing selling parts and buying more parts for the 4. I picked up a brand new Whiteline rear 26mm sway bar, Mistu valve cover, NIB Greddy profec B spec, placed order for 3" ALUMINUM exhaust(Tyler?), DSM strut bars and a used set of E39a Tein HR's with camber plates. The Teins are going to get my "ocd attack". Sandblast body and springs, color matched respray and polished rings(NEED A SET OF SPANNERS). I am still on the hunt for a 24mm Whiteline Front sway bar and located one but was quoted $291 plus s/h?!?!?! Seems really high(?)......

I will post some pics of the progress of the Teins once they are all done. Later -Russ

Blasted them with Liquid Wrench and WD-40 to get them ready for dismantling tomorrow....

Stay Tuned.......

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned