The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New life for 381! 4yr anniversary, Teins done, Simulated 430hp on Evo ECU

ApexHunter

This has been one of my favorite builds, primarily all the cleaning, restoration and maintenance. Glad to see the progression. Awesome car.

broxma

Watch for the CAS and crank codes if you run the USDM 9715xxxx evo map, especially the Tephra V7. I recently had to switch out to the 9653xxxx EDM map but I am going to try a few older 9715 maps in place of it and see if I still get the codes.

I may be switching over to an AEM in the near future but the Evo ECU is still the best street/DD/light race duty solution IMO. There are at least three GVR4's running Evo ECU's that I know of and numerous 1G's and 2G's. I'm yet to hear any serious complaints. Now we just have convince the rest of these people it isn't that hard to get it in.

If you have any issues in the future shoot me another PM or email.

/brox

381gvr4

Thanks Dave! I have finally got the itch for her again. She has been in my shop in hibernation for awhile.....

Yes Brox. Thanks for all the help in getting it figured out. My buddy Mario has played with the ecu and was able to get it with no codes. Not sure what map he used but I know it was a stuggle at first to not have a MIL. I'm at the point now where I would just rather leave it with him and get it back done then have to fiddle with it on the few days a month that I'm in CT.

Some tuning next week and then getting it to a awesome tuner friend John from THE SHOP in Stamford for some late night pull of power until we hit the magic 500 #......

Stay tuned!

EgonOlsen

on a completely different matter.
Do I spot corrosion behind the passenger dogleg? I take it you know, since you've been fooling around with the ecu in that area.
Just wanted to mention it though in case you had not.
Considering how nice this car is and all the work you put into it, I take it you want that fixed asap before it gets worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

381gvr4

It was actually a cluster of dry leaves. Noticed after the pic was taken and yes it was addressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

EgonOlsen

Good to hear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Im watching this conversion closely, would love to do it myself.
Hoping someone would start offering adapter harnesses.
Might go out of style though, seems Evo8 Ecus are getting harder to come by.

381gvr4

So the gauges have been moved. No more ricey pillar....

During tuning on Oct16th I was unable to get the car over 17psi and boost was dropping thru the pulls. We tested the WGA and found it was not holding vacuum. I ordered one from Garrett that was "sure to fit" and guess what, IT DIDN'T!!! I have ordered another which will be at my shop in CT tomorrow. I'm going there Saturday night to throw it on and be ready for another go at 24psi this coming Sunday morning.

Once I realized that my efforts of getting the replacement WGA back and piping back on was not going to happen, I focused my time on something I had been wanting to do for some time now. I am referring to this as ver.1 as I plan on getting a much larger piece of CF and making a much larger cooling plate. My longest piece of CF was 19" so I worked with what I had....

This is what I got. This is more function over form.

Thanks for looking!

381gvr4

Shop pic after axle swap, still on KYB AGX's and 1g H&R's......

So my last tuning session in October ended with finding a vacuum leak at the WGA. I ordered one on Oct25 and through the event of an awesome snow storm, it finally arrived on Nov 14th!!!!

That being said, I took off the original WGA on the car and thought to myself how difficult it would be to get it back on. With a very small amount of modifications, it lined up perfect. I then recruited my GF and her baby hands and had it all set in about 10mins!

Also last tuning trip, I did notice some vibration above 100 and found the D/S outer CV open. I brought the car back to RI to my work for some repair. I swapped the D/S axle, indexed the driveshaft to eliminate a slight decel noise I was getting and FINALLY INSTALLED my Teins!

I let the car settle overnight. I'm going to set the height this afternoon after work, drive it the night and align it tomorrow.
The sway bars still need to go on but what a pain. Also I have Jon Visconti from THE SHOP in Stamford, CT lined up for a street tune and dyno run the weekend after Thanksgiving. Thanks for looking....Stay tuned!

Okayplayer

This build is going very well. I love how clean the car is, looks amazing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

381gvr4

Yesterday I was soooo excited! It was the 4 yr anniversary of 381 and I and the damn site was down! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I cant believe I have had this thing for 4yrs. I finally hit 100,000miles which means I drove 2k miles per year.....

So Sunday I finally got back on the street to finish tuning. The WGA was suppose to have a 18psi spring but it was 8psi! Boost is far easier to control and comes on MUCH sooner when compared to the failing unit. That being said, I could only hit and hold 20psi! The simulated dyno on the laptop says the car is aprox 430hp +/- 10%. It finally feels fast! Next step is another WGA, straight 3" SS catless DP and aluminum exhaust with Vibrant aluminum muffler. Then strap it to a AWD dyno for a true figure. If I'm still shy of 500awhp a FP exhaust manifold and SMIM are in order. The goal to complete this is May then turn my attention to the body.

On Sunday before I met up with Mario I found time to clean my engine bay and tuck my throttle cable.

Night version of gauges. I'm happy to have them off the pillar....

And through the board I was able to purchase a factory sealed 4WS decal for the rear window. I went out of my way to preserve the system to keep the 4WS on the car. Future plans are to redo all the lines in SS when I do the sway bars and front subrafe resto.

The EVO ECU is the BEST mod I have done. AWESOME bang for my buck! I wanted to post a idle vid with idle recovery because I am so happy with the results. Idle is now set at 800rpm and considering the setup, idles dead solid! Very lumpy with the 272's.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

381gvr4

I wasn't super impressed with the stuff. I should have just powder coated. POR15 is good stuff......

SleepinGVR4

Quoting 381gvr4:
I wasn't super impressed with the stuff. I should have just powder coated. POR15 is good stuff......

+1 on POR 15. You had to follow the directions though and use the prep solutions. Metal ready and the marine cleaner.

Looks good. Where did you get a sheet of carbon fiber?

I'd like to make a plate like that because I'm sure I'm losing a lot of air through that opening.

381gvr4

I searched EBAY "carbon fiber sheet" and I sorted thru listings until I found a supplier that would take orders outside ebay for custom sizes. I just searched my ebay account and cant locate the supplier I ended up using.

No worries I'll check out egay and look around. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot about these guys, they sell carbon fiber sheets.

click

Or search "carbontrix" if that link doesn't work.

381gvr4

Holy crap, EXPENSIVE! I paid $60 shipped for 12x32x2mm grade A 1x1.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned