The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New life for 381! 4yr anniversary, Teins done, Simulated 430hp on Evo ECU

464/2K

f***er, i wanted those Teins! hope they work well. Your car is coming along nicely.

381gvr4

He wouldnt have shipped them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I drove solo a little over 5hrs to get them today...

381gvr4

Quoting turbowop:
Too bad the rears don't have pillow upper mounts as well

Dammit buzzkill!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I didn't even know the rears had pillow mounts! Can you buy just the rears I wonder?? If I can get a pillow mount itself, I can make the hat. All the info for the HR and HA's is hard to find. JAyDM has some but its limited.....

Couple things I want to get apart and check. I also found a local set of spanners and am going to pick those up as soon as I get a call. Then running to Sherwin Williams Auto to have the Tein green mixed. Also need to blast these parts........

Last edited:

G

Staff member
You know you can send to tein for rebuilding right?

381gvr4

YeaH.... They have a new facility on the east coast too!!! I wonder what the cost would be???

Last edited:

turbowop

I think the rebuild prices are listed on the TeinUSA website.

Rear HA's with upper pillow mounts:

944b522848003f3.jpg

381gvr4

Today I swapped the valve cover and finished up the strut bar installs. I also took apart the Teins to be ready for blasting and picked up a FP intake pipe.

There are two things of concern for me. #1 being that one of the pillow mount nuts was gawled up. It took a bit of force to get it off. I'm going to clean up the treads on the strut and redo the threads inside the nut. Worst case, a call to Tein for a new nut, ABSOLUTE worst case a new piston rod which is $35 on top of the $85 for the rebuild. #2 one of the rear dampers was slow to recover. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Again $85 for a rebuild..... Not all that bad for a set over a decade old. You cant get them anymore so atleast I have rebuildable units. I may clean up, redo and save for a set of Hotbits for next year. I fairly pleased either way. Now just to see how they ride.....

I am still waiting on the rear sway bar and have not heard any update on the Aluminum exhaust. The other thing I need is the harness for the EBC. This week I will take the trip to the computer store with the Profec in hand and decide if cutting this brand new units clips is an option!!!!
Harness or clips anyone??

On a funny side note. My new neighbor who is awesome didn't realize I had a wood stove, which is not up to local code /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif AND CALLED THE FIRE DEPT because she thought my garage was on fire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Luckily she headed them off in the driveway and they were on their way!!! She was quite embarressed/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keket.gif

Last edited:

381gvr4

Well my OCD is going to hit a new HIGH!!! The short of it is I had planned on building a blast cabinet and while I was buying the gun, I swindled this brand new unit for $110!!!! It had a broken viewing glass and some dents, all of which I fixed on my way to a 3hr assembly! It came with a fully stuffed sandwich bag of nuts/bolts!

With the large cabinet I had to do something for space! I have been wanting to do this for years and finally got around to it. My garage had an old, out dated fireplace that the chimney had to be removed years ago to meet fire code. My hands and back are F*d but it was worth it! What a disaster at times..... Now just to pour the cement to fill the void. At the end of each day I was black from head to toe, even under my clothes!!!
Before... The big yellow box in front of the VR4 (OLD PICTURE FROM LAST YEAR)

After... Mucho space! It was alot more work than it seems in the pics!!!

After I emptied the truck this morning with the final load of large debris, I pushed everything forward until I feel like breaking my back again. I them pulled the Galant in for some installs. I got the FP intake pipe on and -6 filter to rail installed(thanks to STEVEB for everything!!!). I need to redo my I/C pipe as it conflicts slightly with the intake pipe.

As you may be able to tell, the FP intake was the first of many things to be glass beaded... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also got my rear sway bar.....

And picked these up for a member on another board.

If for some reason he doesnt take these, I wont mind!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

381gvr4

381 is coming out of hibernation this week....

Tein resto almost done, A/C, 93 headlights, whiteline sway bars, exhaust and more

STAY TUNED!

381gvr4

Well, I have hit the 97k mark and it has been a blast to drive. Still not completely done with 381 but closer than ever!

The Teins are on hold as getting parts from them is like pulling teeth. I have to send 15 emails to find someone who knows what they are talking about!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Waiting for rear pillow nuts and a couple of snug rings as they were seized to the body! One all done and assembled.....

I also got around to installing the Profec B EBC in the 89 pocket.....

Installed the 93 headlights as the buyer backed out and I got them at the right price. Thanks to Raush for the Corners. Wired in a dual filiment bulb for parking and signal lights.....

Short term.....
I need to adjust my W/G acuator arm which is already threaded as I am only hitting 15psi. This has been the situation since I installed turbo and only now needs to be addressed as I plan on going to 23psi and dyno soon. I am going to see how much I can get out of my Keydiver/afpr/afc and then take it from there. The idea of the Evo 8 ecu is also on my mind. Brox great job of setting the blueprint in how-to and making it so easy to understand. I read the 24 pages on EvoM but its nice to have the Cliffnote version on here!!!

The Whiteline Rear sway bar and Ingalls rear arms STILL need to be done! When the Teins are ready I will do all at once and get height and alignment all set.

Long term, I would like to get the front subframe out and redo it along with SS line replacement on all hardlines. Plus body and paint.

More to come as it VR4 season! Stay tuned for dyno and 1/4 mile times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

MMCVR4

Quoting 381gvr4:

MMC VR4 badges done.....

Way to represent! 17x8.0J +38mm offset is a perfect fit. Nice job overall!

381gvr4

Progress has continued on 381! Its basically become a toy only..... I drive my truck and deal with gas prices rather than put miles on her!

Todays project is an oil pump swap. It was starting to make a very slight rubbing noise. While I have it apart I will also be installing a 90 OFH and oil cooler. I Rite-Stuff'd the pan on so getting it off was fun!
Rare look inside the belly of the beast!

New OEM pump and BSE incase the stubby had something to do with the noise....

The TEINS are FINALLY almost done! By that I mean that all parts have been painted but more importantly I FINALLY got the parts from TEIN!!!! New parts include camber plates, rear pillow mounts, new dust boots, bump stops, spring seats/lock(frozen) rubber spring perch and hardware. The part numbers have changed but they will continue to build compatible models.
Being installed with these but not pictured are Whiteline 22mm and 26mm sway bars and Ingals adj. rear upper control arms..........

You can see rust pitting under the paint. I wasn't about to fill and sand!!! I just wanted to freshen up a rebuildable coilover....

New decals as old ones were destoyed! Thanks Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The reason I bought the Greddy EBC and was going crazy to be sure this noise was gone was I'm finally going to turn the boost up and dyno. Looking to hit that 450whp mark. Hopefully the Evo8 ecu will get me there! For the cost I thought it was worth a try. $130 ecu+ free plugs+$25 for the ecu plug+$50 for BNIB KS=$205!!! Pretty sweet in my book!!!

Found a killer deal on a Eterna grill. Was grey but changed that quickly! Dont know if I'm going to mask and paint the fins and inner grill area black. Time will tell....

AND finally, after a small delay, I'm reppin' our crew /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the next month or so I hope to make the dyno and continue to get 381 where I want her to be!!!!

Last edited:

I'm new to this forum, and have always loved DSMs. I must say that you sir are the most meticulous person I have ever seen do a private restoration on a vehicle. It is truly a work of art. I only wish I had the time, money, and patience to do what you have done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif Looking forward to seeing what kind of dyno numbers you put down!

Last edited by a moderator:

381gvr4

^^^^Thanks alot man!! This November will be 3 years! You will find there are quite a few psycho clean freaks on here!!! About 15+ cars come to mind!!

Congrats on joining the board! This is no DSM scene either! Everyone(for the most part) is very helpful and KIND!!!!

Thanks again for the kind words and welcome to the board!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting meshwork:
Its unbelievable the crap that kid did with my car after I sold it, but I'm happy you're getting it sorted back out nicely. Its like he purposely took things apart just to put it back together like crap.

WTF are you talking about??? If you talking about how the battery was mounted in the truck thats excatly how it was when i bought the car from you.
How did i take things apart and put it back like crap?? ARe you talking about how i put a motor in the car that didnt toss a rod so the new owner could drove it home??....you know like the opposite of what happened the day i bought the car from you. You act like the car was in get shape when i got it from you. The car wasnt tuned well, motor blew on way home, and it did have other issues also

When i sold the car i was very upfront about any issues and answered all buyers questions honestly. FYI i sold him the car for about 1/2 as much as i bought the car for....and the car didnt toss a rod on his way home. I never claimed the car was a cream puff when i sold it and said that the car does need alot of work and the new owner knew all of this

381gvr4

^lol at above!

Last edited:

381gvr4

BACK from the dead! With moving to RI Ive left behind my shop and most every car friend I have.

That being said 381 has been pulled from her cave and is at my friends shop going to the next level! EVO ecu is in along with the EVO 8 MAF and she was fired up under MY2005 technology yesterday.

Along with the ECU swap, I'm having Dr.Mario fab up some 2.5" aluminum intercooler piping, install the BLK top CAS and install a NIB 1g BOV. I'll be in CT this weekend for pics. Street tuning next week and once she is back in RI, I'll bring her to work to FINALLY perform the suspension swap and realign her.......

STAY TUNED!

381gvr4

So 381 is finally being finished. Here is a pic of how she looks now from July.....

I dropped her off at Dr.Mario's secret bat cave at the beginning of Sept for some massaging from the Dr. The Evo8 ecu is in and running. The black top CAS is in and timing dialed. We ended up keeping the 2g maf, basically to keep the FP intake without needing a reducer for the Evo maf. She's idling better than ever. The I/C pipes were just finished so street tuning starts next week. I used CXRacing 2.5" aluminum piping and had Mario work his magic. You can also see I bought a NIB 1g BOV and JMF aluminum flange....

I now can finally get rid of the AFC and move all the gauges to the console instead of having a pillar......

So basically all thats left is removing the AFC, move the gauges and then street tune. Drive her back to RI, install the TEINS and sway bars. Then probably park her for the winter and complete the bodywork in the spring. Then I will be satisfied and consider the car completed!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned