The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help to id Turbo exhaust housing

dmj

I purchased this housing from a board member it was advertised as a 7 cm housing off a FP 68 HTA. I measured the wastegate flapper it is 28 mm. the exhaust opening is a hair off 2 inches In the first pic I overlaid an EVO 3 o2 gasket so you can get an idea how small the exhaust port is. Is it as advertised?

Last edited:

dmj

Is the exhaust compressor turbine smaller than the the 16g on the HTA ?I might as well learn something.

Off topic: Dexter, why is it that when you post pictures they show up as a red x but are still clickable?

The size of the image. i noticed when i lower the size of the image it will then show the thumbnail or smaller version.

Quoting dmj:
Is the exhaust compressor turbine smaller than the the 16g on the HTA ?I might as well learn something.

All the factory 16g type turbos use a TD05H turbine wheel. The small and big 16gs use the regular 7cm housing. If you look on the 68 HTA compressor cover it has the part number for a big 16g.

The Evo 3 16g has the exact same turbine wheel (td05h) but the housing is a little different. Like you noticed with the gasket, the exhaust outlet tapers out a bit more than the other housings. It's actually the same size where the wheel is, it just opens up a bit more as it gets closer to the o2 housing. The flange on an Evo 3 housing is different too. They removed some material to make it lighter. This is really noticeable if you look at a 16g housing and an Evo 3 housing side by side. There might be other differences with the inlet and volute, but I've never personally seen an unported Evo 3 housing.

It's not much, but this is one of the reasons I went with a very heavily ported ebay Evo 3 turbine housing. I'm trying to max out the 68HTA and it is very much exhaust limited. The 47 lb/min compressor pushes the td05h turbine to its limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned