The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Options with turbo exhaust housing

MX4

Hi all,
I have a PTE GT35R which has the "cut" exhaust housing (as shown on the right hand side of the photo). I wanted to run a o2 mounted external wastegate but with the exhaust housing the way it is I realise this wont be possible. I really dont want to run the wastegate off the manifold so I thought I would ask here in case anyone had any smart ideas on ways I could work around this issue.

Many thanks!!

Ryan

Last edited:

AWDPower

Remove the wastegate flapper and weld a plug over the hole, or weld the wastegate shut. Weld a mount for the external wastgate off the front of the turbine housing, pointing down from where it meets the manifold. Here is what I'm thinking of...

It's kind of hard to see in that picture, but it should give you the idea. I'm not sure how much room or how big you wastegate is though.

curtis

You can run a o2 mounted wastegate.
First remove the arm and flapper out of the way.
Drill and tap the hole for the arm and install a pipe plug.
Then as for the gap. One way is if you have access to a mill. Have a perfect hole cut around the opening on the largest area. Then have a giant bushing made and then press it in. This is probably the best way a stainless or tooled steel bushing pressed in thats .150 thick would do fine.
Another way is just to fill it with weld, Take a flat piece of copper and put it in the exhaust exit and start welding. Then remove the copper and fill any pin holes. port smooth blend etc. I'm not sure what Precision uses for there housings but I've done this with bullseye housings and you couldn't tell it ever had a internal gate after I was done. If this is just regular cast have someone use a arc welder with a high nickel content rod. Do it slow and just do a section then wait and hour to cool then do more. If you pump to much heat into it it could crack out or warp and twist and cause problems with blades smacking where they shouldn't.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned