The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

External wastegate on O2 housing fitment, hmmm

strokin4dr

Is anyone here running a MHI turbo with an external wastegate off the O2 housing on there GVR4?

I have a 20g turbo that is setup for an external wastegate, but the housing I have is off of a 2g dsm and will not clear the stock gvr4 radiator.
The setup I have now has an external dump and I'd really like to get a recirculated housing instead.

I have seen 2 name brand housings in my searching. MAPerformance and Punishment Racing.
Neither of these specify about vr4 fitting though.

Does anyone here run one of these O2 housings on a Galant? They are both nice pieces but I don't want to buy first and end up with something I can't use.
-Ryan

Here are pics of the housings in question:

MAP housing
img.php

Punishment housing
img.php

James

My buddy had a modern automotive prostitution o2 housing with external WG and it fit.. But I can't recall what turbo and what red. He was running

prove_it

modern auto prostitution, lol I see what you did there.

bmxr152

I have the punishment racing one and fits perfect. no complaints whatsoever.

MellowVR4

I bought an ebay one, had to cut the bottom flange and rewelded because it wouldnt line up right.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting bmxr152:

It fits with the stock radiator? Are you using a 7cm exhaust housing?

MellowVR4

My friend (snohacking) is running a hx35 on his vr4 and I believe he needs to get an afco radiator because the housing would not clear the OEM radiator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Or its really really close.

turbowop

Back when I ran a VP o2 housing like that on my FPgreen, I had to have it cut and rewelded at a different angle because it put the wastegate up against the radiator. Then I had to have the flange machined flat because the guy that welded it warped it. Pain in the ass. That's part of the reason I had no problem paying the premium for an FP30 setup that all fit without issue.

snohacking

Its a no go with the stock vr4 radiator maybe a tucked stock 1g might work but I am just going to buy a afco one.
Hx35 with bep housing

Not the best pics but you should be able to see it will not fit.

Last edited:

strokin4dr

^Which housing is that?

TylerAdamson

This may work. The MVS has a lower profile compared to the standard 2 bolt 38mm wastegate.

strokin4dr

Yeah, I thought about running something like that, but already have a couple 38mm 2 bolt Tials.

What I want to know now is which housing is posted above that doesn't fit.
And also, want to see pics of the MAP and punishment housings that supposedly fit. I hope one of them does!!

MellowVR4

I believe its a punishment

bmxr152

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Quoting bmxr152:

It fits with the stock radiator? Are you using a 7cm exhaust housing?

It fit with stock but was very close. I was running a bep hx40. Now i have a scirocco radiator.

strokin4dr

vr4play, snap a pic if you can please.

Thanks for the replies guys!

SleepinGVR4

My buddy 1941Galant, has a custom O2 housing that brings the wastegate up to sit right next to the manifold and away from that radiator. I'll try and get a picture of it this weekend.

DSSA

Quoting James:
My buddy had a modern automotive prostitution o2 housing with external WG and it fit.. But I can't recall what turbo and what red. He was running

Dying!

DynastyLCD

I've got an old school punishment o2 with a 4 bolt tial 40mm on it. Basically the wastegate pretty much bolts to the o2 flange and it's fairly low profile. Only complaint was having to grind down the power steering bracket, didn't take too much. This is on a 7cm hotside

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned