The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need advice

thecannoliman121

I just got my 91 GVR4 on the road not too long ago. And i am wondering what are some things i can do to it to get me started? I already have a TDO5 16g turbo. New header, and down pipe. So what else should i do?
img.php

Defiant

The absolute first thing you should do before anything else is a boost gauge and then a wideband.

But aside from that, it all depends on your plans and what your goals are.

Barnes

Actually, the very first thing you should do is make sure all your standard maintenance stuff is taken care of. Make sure the car is in very good mechanical shape before your start to modify anything else.

I would say the only exception is if you were planning on upgrading something already, and the part was already in need of replacing. At that point I don't think it's a bad thing to fix problems on the car with an upgrade. As long as that upgrade is installed properly!! (E.g. Your struts are shot, so you replace them with upgraded aftermarking struts instead of OEM/equivelent struts.)

Welcome to the board and I hope you get the advice and help you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ktmrider

^^ This. Don't use mod parts to try and fix a problem ( fuel cut, install different injectors/MAF for example ).

thecannoliman121

My turbo was close to being shot so i ended up getting a 16g since i needed a new one anyway. I did replace the front struts, mounts,left axle, right bearing. It runs perfect and is fully functional, took me a while so now i am starting the tuning. i also deleted the rear steering by looping it back and cutting the lines and plugging them because it was leaking too much.

MellowVR4

I Would fix leaks, MAINTANCE MAINTANCE MAINTANCE... make sure you got good compression, if not i would rebuild the motor, atleast new rings and bearings and all the head stuff. injectors, 255 fuelpump, fmic, afpr. DEFENETLY DSMLINK IS A MUST. OR SAFC

thecannoliman121

thanks. and i know the ending is fine because it got re built right before we put it away ten years ago. thanks for all of the advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JCorbo25

Timing belt! If it looks questionable or you have no paperwork on when it was last done, do it now.

My timing belt 'supposedly' has only 40k miles on it, but I have no idea how long it sat during that time. I'm planning on replacing it shortly.

Other than that, follow normal mod path of a 1G DSM. RRE had a decent write-up, as does DSMTuners.

Needed items before modding:
Pocket logger or DSMLink
Boost Gauge
Wideband AF

BpuVR4

yea listen to these guys....maintenance. when i was young it would sound lame, cause you just wanna go fast. but fast isn't too fun when youre busted on the side of the road every other week because you never got around to making sure the car makes it home every drive out via covering your bases.

MAINTENANCE gets my vote too! Make sure you're up to spec under all driving conditions before you upgrade! This will establish a baseline for when you start modding. Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

citymunky

Quoting MellowVR4:
DEFENETLY DSMLINK IS A MUST. OR SAFC

DSMLink is NOT a must, as it's not the only tuning option out there.

Also SAFC, is not even in that boat as ECMLink as far as functions. There are tons of other things that are much better than a SAFC.

thecannoliman121

This car has been in our hands for about 19 years. My mom held it for me and it sat in my driveway for ten. Thats why i did do the timing belt.

BpuVR4

^ wow...you best hug your mom everyday. I remember when I was in hs, my dad (notorious for trading his cars) brought home a teal 1g tsi awd and thought he'd drive it until I take over payments. didnt last long as it was too small for a family car of 3 people.

JNR

^^ah, man, don't tell me about cars that your parents sold when you're a kid, lol...dad had a '56 chevy that was 100% original and hardly had any miles and was truly owned by an old lady (original owner), who passed away and they bought it for $2k in 1984...damn that thing was nice and even though it only had the 265 V8, the potential of one of those and having something like that in high school (late 80's), damn.

He was the original owner of a really nice dark blue "heavy chevy" (chevelle option pkg) with a 4-speed manual; wished he had kept that one too...funny cause him and my mom always talked about his "heavy chevy" (years after selling it) and while I knew it was a chevelle, didn't know until years later that's what chevy actual called them (and had the name on it plus side stripes), lol.

So, that's cool they hung onto it for you...

My kids would be set down the road ($$) if I were to be able to have kept all the different cars/trucks I've owned...but heck, there is no way I am able to do that...Sort of want to sell my chevelle before my oldest asks for it (he's 16 now), as that thing is waaay too fast for a kid.

BpuVR4

i have no words on that 56...55 or 56- one of my dream projects...would love to drop in a 427 or 454 and do almost the whole Two Lane Blacktop deal (not sure if guys who drive just japanese cars know about that movie..funny i say that cause im asian)- growing up I thought that was the coolest movie car out there esp since it was the same as in American Graffiti. Those things are just so expensive to get into.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Classifieds Listings