The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

enginge rebuild advice needed.

kooter

I have had the engine out of the car now for a couple months. had a few finacial speed bumps but are not back on track.
I had planned on sending the engine to a machine shop that we use at my job.
web page

my plans are simple. Have the engine disassembled, cleaned, checked, and what ever need's replaced would be replaced.

I am looking at a budget of about $2000.00 a little bit more if really needed. My main plan/idea here is not to try to build hp but more to try to restore this car back to as close to brand new as I can. I have always wanted a vr4 and finally have one.

My question's or the advice I need would be.

1)Other then just stripping and cleaning and checking is there anything else I need to have the machine shop do?

2)Is there anything I need to have replaced regarless of condition?

3)Since I am having the engine completely disassembled would it be best to have different piston's and or connecting rods, and if so what is the best choice.

and finally

4)the balance shaft belt to eliminate it or not too. I do have some thought's of eventually doing a slightly bigger turbo and a much better intercooler. But as stated not looking for giant horsepower, I have had several early 90's galant's and a couple eclipse's all base non turbo two wheel drive and put lots of miles with little maintanace. Never had a balance shaft belt break. AND DONT WANT TOO EITHER.

well for now thats it what I got. looking forward to some good advice and a little flaming for being a noob.

On a side note. If there is anyone in the schaumburg, il area. Or even someone that is down for a road trip. I would like to get some professional help(meaning someone who can take these engine's out and put them back in, in there sleep) little flashback to "the FONZ" blind putting his motorcycle back together in his apartment. Well I would appreciate the expertise to try and make sure that this one goes back together correctly.

The car
#148 nile black 102,000 miles.
comletely stock except shock/struts and stereo.
All wheel steering still in good shape.

Vr4junkie

To answer your question on pistons and connecting rods if its a 6bolt motor stock rods and pistons are fine but if u want stronger pistions you could go with 2 g pistons but since your not looking for crazy power I would just do a stock rebuild no need in spending extra money were its not needed.

gramkrakr89

A properly rebuilt stock motor is pretty stout... If your goal is not horsepower, a stock rebuild with quality OEM parts should be fine. (ARP head studs maybe?)

AnotherNewb

2g pistons, ARP head studs, quality composite HG unless you feel froggy and want MLS (not necessary for your goals) and BSE kit... Done. I would suggest a MLS HG since everyone starts out with the additude of "I just want it stock" then it escalates to "NEEED MOAR POWWA" in a snowball kind of way.

Jason G.

If you're going to let the machine shop assemble the engine, they should be able to make the determination for most of your questions.

I would get rid of the balance shafts and if the shop is unfamiliar with that, you may want to print something to show them what you're talking about and why you want them out.

vtecds1

If your looking for members to help out...make a post in the events section. There is a bunch of members on here thats is within 20-45 mins from your location. Offer some food/beer and I'm sure they will be more than happy to help.

kooter

thank's to everyone . and that is exactly what I will do

IanM

If the OP is still checking on this,

I would suggest you take a look at DSM/VR4 Classifieds, as some sellers have fully built long blocks for around $2000. That way, you could sell your long block to recoup some of the costs. Or you could have some spare parts in case of an emergency.

Ian

kooter

well I will have to look into that. Thank you for the tip.
img.php

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned