The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need some advice on getting a motor from the junkyard

luis84one

So I found a 90 laser at the junkyard today and since its memorial day weekend its half off. I need some advice on what I should be looking for as far as sings that its no good.. I plan on rebuilding it myself or atleast doing as much of the work myself as i can. All i can tell by looking at it is that the water pipe is rusted and crumbling, exhaust manifold is cracked in a few places, one turbo bolt was broken off, and the turbo was completely black.. The odometer read 220,000 + miles.. Thanks in advance..

-Luis

transparentdsm

bring a half inch socket wrench and an extension and turn the crack, if it spins then its not a bad motor if it doesn't then the block is seized and is junk. IMHO at 220000 the motor is probably no good, but sometimes you find a needle in a haystack.

gvr4ever

Aside from a spinning motor that isn't frozen, smashing valves... In a junk yard, I think I'd want to try and find a sealed engine. IDK if that's really possible as valve covers get picked.

tektic

see if the numbers on the block match the vin. it might be a swapped block or import.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

c2ea20c8.jpg

luis84one

it spins freely.. I spent a few hours today getting it ready to come out.. tranny is off all wires are out of the way. All I have to do is unbolt the driver side mount and lift it out. Once I get it home I can start tearing it down an hopefully have it at the machine shop by next week.. while I was there I scored on an Intercooler from a dodge conquest.

luis84one

I ended up taking this motor home. It was mi wife's birthday present to me. Got it out sunday morning, and had it fully disassembled by sunday evening. The crank had some scoring, is this normal? And even tho the head looked fresh it had heavy carbon build up.. Overall I think I got a decent engine, but then again what do I know Im a newb at this.. Now Im off to find a machine shop to send the block to.

89Mirageman

Quoting transparentdsm:
how can you check for bent valves by just taking off the valve cover ?

If any of the rollers are laying in the head or really loose that's one sign. Loose could also mean the lifter leaked down pressure though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned