The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
I never realized the 68HTA was such a worked over turbo. I thought it was just a different compressor wheel and machined compressor housing. FP's own stock appearing turbine housing? NICE. I guess I've been under a rock.

I need to pull my 3052 off and send it to FP for an HTA upgrade.

I was under the assumption the 68HTA was mated to a TDO5H turbine wheel for the longest time. It's actually significantly bigger. After you put the 68's large turbine wheel in the FP 8cm housing, it's easy to see how they get 51LB per minute out of this little turbo.

TDO5H Turbine Wheel
- Inducer: 55.8 mm
- Exducer: 49.2 mm

68HTA Turbine Wheel
- Inducer: 60.8 mm
- Exducer: 54.0 mm

the_underdog

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Great vid, Tom. The 14B really looks like a dwarf next to the 68HTA. Perhaps an Evo 8 intercooler next? I'm assuming you have to stick with the stock piping to meet the stock appearing criteria you've set. I think I'm going this route myself, so I'm curious to see if that's how you are thinking as well. Although, I'm not sure if that intercooler would support a 68HTA?

On a side note, where do you get all of your new OEM Mitsubishi parts?

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it! I agree that the 68HTA packs a good bit of heat in that unsuspecting package. As for the intercooler, I'm doing a bit of experimenting to keep things stock appearing. I hope it all works well, making stuff appear stock is hard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Regarding the OEM parts, I get them from the usual vendors like JNZ, etc.

the_underdog

Quoting turbowop:
I never realized the 68HTA was such a worked over turbo. I thought it was just a different compressor wheel and machined compressor housing. FP's own stock appearing turbine housing? NICE. I guess I've been under a rock.

I need to pull my 3052 off and send it to FP for an HTA upgrade.

I agree Mark! In the past I appreciated the 68HTA from a distance, but the more I researched it, the more I understood how much it offered given the frame. Regarding your 3052, from everything I've heard, the HTA upgrade is definitely a worthwhile one.

the_underdog

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
New video! Now I can't wait to get off work and make the girlfriend watch it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Haha! Thanks Dan! I can't imagine what she did to deserve that sort of punishment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the_underdog

Quoting PolskiVR4:
Great videos! I look forward to seeing this car at the Shootout.

Thanks man! I'll see ya there!

the_underdog

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
I was under the assumption the 68HTA was mated to a TDO5H turbine wheel for the longest time. It's actually significantly bigger. After you put the 68's large turbine wheel in the FP 8cm housing, it's easy to see how they get 51LB per minute out of this little turbo.

I thought the same thing as well. Sneaky FP!

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
I want one. Seems on par pricewise with the FP Green...

They have some of these on sale right now:
TDO5H-68HTA Sale

Last year around black friday they had incredible prices on most all of their DSM turbochargers, it was crazy!

NDVR4

Tom, another great video! You like puddles how about coming to try my puddles?

the_underdog

Quote:
Tom, another great video! You like puddles how about coming to try my puddles?

Thanks man! Puddle? That looks more like a pond! Did you go through it?!

NDVR4

Yes I did just happy a road was still underneath! Sidenote, the girlfriend loves the humor in your videos and the lego man haha.

fuel

I'm curious to know how the FP DSM TD05H-68HTA turbo compares to a stock TD05H-B16G with 7deg clip on turbine wheel and 20G compressor wheel/housing fitted. Am running 7cm exhaust housing but considering finding an 8cm housing.

the_underdog

Quoting NDVR4:
Yes I did just happy a road was still underneath! Sidenote, the girlfriend loves the humor in your videos and the lego man haha.

Good to hear, that puddle looked DEEP! Thank you for sharing that, which is much better than the feedback that I typically get- which is something along the lines of "I force my girlfriend/wife to sit and watch your videos with me." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

the_underdog

Quoting fuel:
I'm curious to know how the FP DSM TD05H-68HTA turbo compares to a stock TD05H-B16G with 7deg clip on turbine wheel and 20G compressor wheel/housing fitted. Am running 7cm exhaust housing but considering finding an 8cm housing.

I would have to imagine that it would be fairly comparable. I bet the 8cm housing would be a nice upgrade, especially if you have cams and such.

fuel

Yeah hoping to swap to the 264/272 hks combo to retain some drivability. I would need to do something with the stock exhaust too.

transparentdsm

finally had some free time to watch the video this morning, that was just great. i like how star wars marathon was more of a decision then the new born baby, haha. that really makes me want that turbo.

MellowVR4

Im super curious on what kind of power you can get from that turbo!

the_underdog

Quoting fuel:
Yeah hoping to swap to the 264/272 hks combo to retain some drivability. I would need to do something with the stock exhaust too.

Sounds like a plan to me, good luck with it!

the_underdog

Quoting transparentdsm:
finally had some free time to watch the video this morning, that was just great. i like how star wars marathon was more of a decision then the new born baby, haha. that really makes me want that turbo.

Thank you and I'm glad you got a kick out of it! Haha! I recorded a couple other examples of "things that may be better than bolting on a new turbo" but they never made it past the cutting room floor. I think one was All You Can Eat KFC Buffet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

large_kfc_BIG.jpg

the_underdog

Quoting MellowVR4:
Im super curious on what kind of power you can get from that turbo!

Thanks man, me too!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned