The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

coyotes

Pretty awesome! I am not a professional, but you were pretty aggressive with the port job, you aren't worried about cracking the housing between the O2 and turbo outlet ports on both the turbo and the o2 housing? I'm sure you know better than I, it looks great and will probably flow some good numbers. Love that coating.

GSTwithPSI

Great video, Tom! I have to say, I kinda thought the HTA68 was coming. I'm going to go ahead and predict a cutout of some sort on the exhaust side of things...

An unrelated question that I'm not sure you can even answer in public; do you get any kickbacks from the guys you mention in your videos (ECMtuning, Forced Performance, Detective Coating)?

the_underdog

Quoting transparentdsm:
awesome video. your car is great.

Thank you sir!

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
Pretty awesome! I am not a professional, but you were pretty aggressive with the port job, you aren't worried about cracking the housing between the O2 and turbo outlet ports on both the turbo and the o2 housing? I'm sure you know better than I, it looks great and will probably flow some good numbers. Love that coating.

Thank you! My main concern is to make sure there is plenty of "meat" around the outer edge of the O2 housing for the gasket to do its job. I would suggest doing as much as you feel comfortable with, I guess my explanation would be that I've always done it this way with good results. It's the old "YMMV" thing I suppose. And I agree about the ceramic coating. I have always wanted to do it but was always in a rush to get things back together, etc. I am so glad I did. Justin does awesome work and I'm sure it'll help keep temps at bay in the cramped VR-4 engine bay.

the_underdog

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Great video, Tom! I have to say, I kinda thought the HTA68 was coming. I'm going to go ahead and predict a cutout of some sort on the exhaust side of things...

An unrelated question that I'm not sure you can even answer in public; do you get any kickbacks from the guys you mention in your videos (ECMtuning, Forced Performance, Detective Coating)?

Thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed it! A good old 20g or one of the other Garrett based FP turbos sure were tempting, but I wanted as stock appearing as possible, so the 68HTA was the best choice. Regarding working with ECMTuning, Forced Performance and Detective Coating, they do support my video efforts in various ways. I really just love working with straight up, good companies though and their work and track record speak for themselves. I just hope I can help give them some more exposure and show off their work in a unique way. I would use their products and display them in the exact same way even if they didn't offer to help out a bit. I have had offers from other places but have passed because they weren't products/etc. that I'd be willing to use or suggest that my friends use. Hope that helps explain things a bit.

coyotes

Have you seen these? click

Pretty neat, will probably pick one of these up when the time comes. Transparentdsm has one of these on his car, says you can touch the blanket after driving your car hard.

89Patches

I like!!! Can't wait to see your car at the Shoot out Tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Keep the video's coming!!

the_underdog

Posting these because the title of the thread says "lots o pics!!!" and there are hardly any pics.

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

the_underdog

Quoting 89Patches:
I like!!! Can't wait to see your car at the Shoot out Tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Keep the video's coming!!

Thank you Corte and I look forward to meeting you!

NDVR4

I love watching your videos, and I agree the compressor wheel looks insane. Would you mind putting a few tears in the dash so you can show us how to fix that haha.

the_underdog

Quote:
I love watching your videos, and I agree the compressor wheel looks insane. Would you mind putting a few tears in the dash so you can show us how to fix that haha.

Thanks man! Haha, sure no problem! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

92_talon_awd

Loving the vids Tom, definitely an inspiration for my own build. On a side note, I was perusing your site and saw you did a write up for our last dyno day, def need another one. Maybe after your street sleeper is tuned up?

the_underdog

Quote:
Loving the vids Tom, definitely an inspiration for my own build. On a side note, I was perusing your site and saw you did a write up for our last dyno day, def need another one. Maybe after your street sleeper is tuned up?

Thank you Dan and I'm glad to hear that! Yeah, our DSM/Mitsu crew is hard to wrangle around here. If someone were to spend the time organizing and planning something, folks would definitely attend. We have a Facebook page but it is pretty quiet these days. Probably best just to attend a general shop dyno day and then invite Mitsu folks to that. As for running my car, I've been to a few dyno days and they aren't really productive other than getting a quick hp/tq number, as they are quick to get the cars in and out. I would want to spend time data logging and tinkering with my tune.

GSTwithPSI

Great vid, Tom. The 14B really looks like a dwarf next to the 68HTA. Perhaps an Evo 8 intercooler next? I'm assuming you have to stick with the stock piping to meet the stock appearing criteria you've set. I think I'm going this route myself, so I'm curious to see if that's how you are thinking as well. Although, I'm not sure if that intercooler would support a 68HTA?

On a side note, where do you get all of your new OEM Mitsubishi parts?

turbowop

I never realized the 68HTA was such a worked over turbo. I thought it was just a different compressor wheel and machined compressor housing. FP's own stock appearing turbine housing? NICE. I guess I've been under a rock.

I need to pull my 3052 off and send it to FP for an HTA upgrade.

92_talon_awd

New video! Now I can't wait to get off work and make the girlfriend watch it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PolskiVR4

Great videos! I look forward to seeing this car at the Shootout.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned