The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My day at the Junkyard, look what I found #2! UPDATED

maxash0775

I am putting this is the newbie section all though it may apply to the general discussion. the reason I am is because it may be stupid to those more senior members that have been there done that.

As I was leaving the junkyard I walked by a 90 galant that I had missed on my romp around the yard. It was nothing special at first till I noticed the clading on the door. It was almost GVR4 like. Well I dismissed it and continued to scour for little parts here and there (my interior door handles "chrome" is coming off, only $7, not to bad I think). Then I saw it, it was a cluster I have only seen once before in pictures. It was a controller for the suspension system. That was pretty sick for 20 years ago. Tein has the same thing for like $700 for the controller and siloniods alone. I then thought maybe it was a GSX AWD but no it was FED and had a non turbo 4g63. I didnt have the badging on it so I am not sure which trim it is. Does anyone know which car this is off and how, if at all rare are they and can we make it work on our cars? The pictures tell the story.

Last edited:

gramkrakr89

That would be a neat setup to have working on a fielded VR4.

The stock owners manual describes the ECS and it's function, but I've never actually seen an intact system on a galant before.

How rare actually is this?

89Mirageman

I believe that would be a GSR, never seen one in person myself though.

Jesus_Negros

Take the ECS suspension for novalty and sell the ECS pod.

Also...how much for the tail lights?

Last edited by a moderator:

fuel

yeah GS and GSR have the ECS which is great when near new and working, but it only takes about 5 years/60,000mi before an air bag springs a leak and drops all corners down onto the bump stops. Have come across so many JDM VX and VX-S and NZDM GTi-16V models with the ECS struts removed and normal struts fitted in place.

The front struts would be able to go into a VR-4/4WD Galant however the rear struts have a different mounting at the bottom which I guess could be swapped over. The other concern is that if the system is even working, will the ECS designed for a FWD car be able to cope with the extra weight of the VR-4?

There are quite a few components you would need to pull as well - along with the dash pod you would need the air compressor and height sensor (mounted above the transmission), the air tank (mounted between bumper and passenger side front wheel), the ECU (unsure where there is, possibly in the trunk), the G sensor mounted behind the front bumper, and all the solenoids (three mounted on firewall, three in the trunk).

Makes me miss my '88 JDM Galant VX-S which had the ECS but was removed.

IMG_3466.jpg

maxash0775

Wow, didnt realize how many parts really go to this thing. It just looked really cool and advanced, something different. I will go back out there tomorrow and see how much they want for the pod for prosperity's sake at least. I just hate to see a piece of art like this go to waste. Has anyone made this work on a gvr4 before? Just curious.

maroonmetallic

That's a Galant GS.
The wide door cladding says it's not a 91 or 92.

1991 was the first year for the GSR in the US.
There is also all the wiring needed to make that functional.
(interior, dash, chassis & engine if Im not mistaken)

Also, they might have a weird throttle body. My 92 GSR had the ECS & after about 140k miles it stopeed working. It was a nice feature for the first 40k miles I had it though!

-Shawn

maxash0775

Here is some info I found right now on the system. Mitsu was ahead of their time back in the day.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_AWC

gramkrakr89

If I had the time/money, I'd love to have a go at it...

You might want to snag all the controls, solenoids, and wiring pigtails (struts too) to hang on to if you decide to try... would be a shame to see it waste /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

jmorri15

has anyone looked at putting a 3000gt sl or vr4 ecs in our cars. i have a 94 3000gt sl and when i switch from tour to sport you can really feel the car firm up, no air compressors or anything its all in the struts

gramkrakr89

The way that system works is just an "on/off" , "hard/soft" deal - little servos turning adjustable valves...

This is just a little more involved

Last edited:

maxash0775

Woohoo. I got the ECS unit. You wont believe how much!!! Only $4. They called it an overhead light because they didn't know what the hell it was. I also found a switch that i Have not seen before. I know the picture makes my car look like a ricer, but I couldn't resist the button!! It is a power steering assist button much like the ECO button. They will be used for something down the road to keep it stock looking.

I will be going back to get the rest of the shocks, siloenoids etc. in 2 weeks because they will have it all half price. Valentines day sale, go figure. FUEl, you were right, I saw the silonoids on the fire wall but they were closing so I didnt get much time to look at the rest. I couldnt find were the harness went to, it dissapeared under the dash and it looks like it goes into the firewall. I am guessing no one will know what it is so its safe for a few weeks.I am guessing maybe $200 for everything (after the half off). If this does need the ECU how do you merge the gvr4 ecu with this one to get the ECS to work if one wanted to? Can the shocks be rebuilt! Mitsu might still make them. I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks

maroonmetallic

As stated before, the engine harness, dash harness & full interior harness (chassis) is different.
The ECU for it is in the trunk if Im not mistaken.
Most replacement parts are no longer available & you might be shocked how much that air tank (PS under the battery) weighs!

I had a '92 Galant GSR with the electronic suspension as well as the electronic steering button.
Here's a link to mine when I first got it (back in 2005 I think?).

Regards,
-Shawn

Last edited:

gramkrakr89

pulling it all in good shape, and getting it working...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

misterfixit

You need:
Compressor and bracket (ontop of transmission)
Reciever drier and battery tray (reciever clipped to tray)
Front manifold (under battery tray)
Front G sensor (Under left headlight)
Air resevoir (Under battery tray, outside chassis rail)
Front height sensor +arm (bolted to front subframe behind transmission)
Firewall manifold and lines (centre of firewall)
Front right a-arm (Has height sensor bracket.)
Column switch (has column rate sensor attached)
Rear height sensor (Under the back of the car, looks similar to the front (near the fuel filler neck)*
*grab the pigtail for this as the mounting will be different if you convert it to a 4wd and it'll save you dropping the tank)

In the trunk you'll need the computer and the rear manifold and lines:
click
here is my car without the interior in.

You will need ALL and I mean ALL the looms, the wiring is everywhere.

BE CAREFULL the air lines are wrapped into the loom. There is a join about halfway dovn the inside of the firewall by the pillar to separate the main and the front looms.

Good luck and be patient with the hose connections!

Rich

gramkrakr89

This could easily be the most interesting novelty ever swapped into a usdm VR-4...

misterfixit - Is that a GSR, or is that swapped into a VR-4?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned