The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mil-Spec engine wiring harness

coyotes

I know my previous Galant, 981/2000 had mil spec wiring done to it. I don't remember any details, you would have to look the car up on this forum or elsewhere.

raptorWagon

It's still so much easier to just say cannon plug that mil spec wiring connectors...
420043d1233886230-wetherpack-fittings-tech-1959_1.jpg

Even Google knows what Cannon Plugs are and Cannon plug pliers lol!

That being said, all the wiring on a Military aircraft is usually no bigger than 14awg unless it actually requires 10-12 gauge.

Last edited by a moderator:

bradrs

This is an interesting thread to bring up. There is now a source for a lot of the previously hard to find underhood connectors. CAS, TPS, coils, MAF, ignitor, etc.

I don't know if I'd spend the money on tefzel, especially not if I was only going to do it in a few colors. You can get GXL or TXL spec wiring much cheaper, it is what the OEMs are using currently in many applications. It is a good wire(except the 20 AWG, it can be good or junk). Get a bunch of colors, or better yet, get it striped so you can follow the OEM wire colors. That will make it much easier in the long run, to have a harness that matches the OEM schematics.

And some wires that are shielded like knock sensors, you should probably not use tefzel or gxl for those.

G

Staff member
Honda guys have nothing else better to do? >> click

ade

Quoting Boostdtalon:
Haha sure thing! As long as it's carbon fiber infused with titanium wiring..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting G:
I didn't expect it to be so expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That's just the thing, it's not for posers.

... it will cost more than the average vr4 roller in materials alone to build a true "mil spec" harness .

... and that doesn't include the tooling and the time of someone who knows how to properly use it!

serious money!

I've done a lot of this stuff over the years.

I have the tooling.

... all of it

I did extensive work on harnesses in aviation early in my career, and have gone on to build a lot of harnesses for crate motor swaps into vintage tin, so I have a *bit* of hands on experience on what it takes to do this task properly.

I have, (or can get) every aviation grade piece you would need (it's good to have friends in the business! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

So, yeah, I can do anything your wallet can support.

For the .01% of the board who could actually benefit from a "mil-spec" harness, I'll build you one.

... satisfaction gaurandamnteed

With the caveat that a substantial deposit will be required

It's worth noting that the aviation grade tooling / supplies I have invested in cost serious money (coulda bought a fuckin evo for what I have invested in my wire tooling / supplies)

... that's the price you pay for doing things "mil-spec"

Building harnesses for the automotive crowd has taught me the difference between "need" and "want"

I have learned to explain the cost downsides, as well as the field servicablilty of "mil-spec" harnesses to prospective customers to scare off the posers.

... and 99.99% of the folks who want one will run once they know the true costs and downsides to a custom harness, especially one that requires special tooling to service in the field.

I can build sensible harnesses for a lot less,

... and they are field serviceable with common tooling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's worth noting for everybody that's interested in building a sensible harness, (or properly repairing what they have) there are other options.

If you can put up with some long posts (even for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ) I will be documenting how to build a sensible harness with brand new connectors/ terminals available from a rock solid vendor over the next few weeks when I finish my present project.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cliffs.gif

There's better options available for sensible folks.

Stay tuned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Staff member
Quoting G:

Lot's of posers here i guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif click

prove_it

Did you just quote yourself?

G

Staff member
Lol, in that link. The motor with the green vc. I would pay to have a harness built like that. With the labels and everything. I'm sure it's cheaper than me buying all the tools and doing it myself. I smell a group buy from one of these mil spec companies already making them for other platforms.

bradrs

There have been a bunch of these companies talking about doing one in the past few years for DSMs. I've even supplied some with hard to find parts to assist the build. I still haven't seen one get finished.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't see any of the other companies wanting to do it when there are so many bigger volume markets to get into. It'd almost need to be a DSM guy who has an interest in it, since the low volume will make it unattractive to a real business.

Have any of you guys seen this link?
click

G

Staff member
You're joking right?

bradrs

There have been several of the mil spec Honda harness shops start to build one for DSMs, but never get into production, not joking about that at all.

You're best bet to get one would be a person like toybreaker, who is doing specifically these cars because he has an interest in them.

But if you think a group buy from a Honda parts shop will get you one, give it a shot.

G

Staff member
I was referring to the link you posted that was already posted twice in this thread.

Boostdtalon

Quoting Boostdtalon:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Felt like this was needed again. Lol

I like the idea of a clean well put together harness. It doesn't have to use canon plugs. I'd be fine with a OEM harness that has new shielding and the idea of labeling the plugs is a good idea. I used to install wiring harnesses on locomotives that were pre labeled. It definitely made it easier when I did the installs.

bradrs

Quoting G:
I was referring to the link you posted that was already posted twice in this thread.

I guess I missed those posts, who posted it? And why didn't you complain about the person who posted it a second time? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting G:
Quoting G:

Lot's of posers here i guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif click

Interesting link, some nice machines there.

... it does go to show you that there's a time and a place for everything

When every other detail of your machine is handled, a little gilding of the lillies won't hurt a damn thing.

... but, when you've got a typical machine that has wheel bearings / driveshaft carrier bearings / bushings / and other sub-systems that need attention, well, yeah, spending a couple of k bux on tucking wires into non field serviceable configurations seems kinda silly to me.

The biggest downside to all this whiz bang wiring shite is that nobody but the man who does the job knows what's inside the pretty little tubes.

I've seen some really poor craftmenship hidden under those covers, and when you get right down to it, what's more important ...

form or function?

I quoted a full on harness for a similar platform awhile back for a good man (and a good friend).

Charging my cost on the materials, and working for half my normal wage, it still came out a $ubstantial sum of money

All this time/effort/cost for a f***ing wiring harness?

silly

... for reference, it was more than purchasing every part you need to optimise the entire chassis of one of these cars. (and that's utilizing the cool guy hook up locally and the fine folks at JNZ for the o.e. stuff)

... I know, I just went thru a clean, high mileage vr4 this summer

Optimising one of these cars is not cheap.

If it wasn't for Paul and Josh at JNZ, I probably woudn't even make the effort, but since they can get all the goodies, it's still possible to make minty cars.

The wiring harness on high mileage vr4's almost always needs attention.

Crunchy, broken wires / damaged connectors, we've all got the same problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

... these are twenty year old harnesses in toasty engine compartments, after all.

Add in maintainance, engine / transmission changes and the like, and well, all the harnesses I've ever seen need at least some love

There is now a source for most of the stuff you will need to properly return one to service.

... new connector housings, terminals , seals

... the whole shitaree

He has them available as raw components as well as pigtails that can be spliced into what you have.

cool sh*t for the diy crowd. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

He doesn't make sh*t for $$ on them, not compared to the effort it has taken to track the stuff down and purchase the components.

He does it because cars are his passion

... and he knows that many fine machines never reach their potential because of wiring gremlins.

I've got a couple of his connector kits on the way, and I'll do a thread on "my take" on how to return a weary vr4 harness to service.

*might* dissapoint some of you that want all the whizbang shite, but for those that want to do it themselves with relatively common tooling, it may be helpfull.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread of gilded lillies

DENSO!!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned