The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MBC question/ opinions

I have a quick question about MBC's. I'm running a "turbonetics", supposely, mbc and it hasn't functioned correctly since I bought it. Now I'm looking to purchase another one that actually works and will remain to work. So, my question to you good people is; What is a good, reliable MBC to use on our cars?
Prefferrably some opinions from the vet's that have already been there, did that. All opinions are welcome though. Quite frankly, I'm sick of buying parts that don't work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read and help, it's appreciated.

belize1334

It's possible that the one you have isn't working because you have it set up wrong. There are two styles...check-valve and bleeder. Be sure you know which style you have and set it up appropriately.

I'm now using an HKS EVC IV so I no longer use my MBC but for a while I had a Lower Shores MBC and I was fairly happy with it. Not much spike and no bleed-down.

boostedinaz

Halman have always been great MBC. I had one on 1101 and it always help boost perfectly.

raptorWagon

Quoting belize1334:

I'm now using an HKS EVC IV so I no longer use my MBC but for a while I had a Lower Shores MBC and I was fairly happy with it. Not much spike and no bleed-down.

+1 I believe a lot of us have or are still running the Lower Shores MBC. I've had mine on since 08' with no spikes or creep.

They are still available here click

So it's lookin like a halman or a lower shores then huh? It's still early in the thread, so I'll wait to see some more feedback before purchasing. To all who have already responded, thanks for your time.

DR1665

I have one of those silver, Turbo XS deals. Don't know what they cost because someone just got tired of it and gave it to me, but I've never had any issues with it. Even had passengers (DSMers) comment on how 464/1000 runs right up to 12psi and sits there. Solid.

t_19687.jpg

I'll throw in my vote for the Hallman. A friend and I have traded one back and forth for a bit over 5 years and it still works great. He's using it now in his 1g and I have a new one showing up any day now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member

cheekychimp

^ LOL ... your point being?

Edit: Ah ISWYDT! You're referring to the link that 'G' posted. Hell that page is full of spelling mistakes and bad grammar. You'd think if you were a business, you would have someone proof read that sh*t or better still write it for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

I thought initially you were referring to 'supposely' in the OP's first line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

Dan D

If you're the tinkering type, you can always build one yourself also. It can take some tweaking to get the right ball size, bleeder hole, and spring but dinking around with getting it right is half the fun isn't it?

My hardware store MBC has been in service since 1999 and has been fine tuned for my setup.

dmj

Hallman pro got it from extreme psi ,holds boost solid as a rock at 20 psi and no spikes.

conquesttsi

It should be mentioned that for reliabilty and accuracy I would go with a ball and spring type MBC.

That being said I have never heard of, seen or used a LSP. I would trust the members here if they say it's good.

I have a Hallman pro, No complaints. It's a well known spring type MBC, Trusted throughout the DSM Community. Looks sweet too!

Last edited:

Terry Posten

I would bet that over 50 members on here are using the Lower Shores Performance (LSP) unit. I have been using one for well over 5 years and have no issues. And that was with a 14B, EVO III, small Garret 60 trim, and a big PTE 60 trim turbos with boost levels ranging from 12 to 28. The dual adjustable setup makes it super easy to dial in the exact pressure you want/need.

And the best thing is they are cheap and they give GVR4.com a discount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

boostedinaz

Another thing that I always think about it, is the part aesthetically pleasing? A nice looking part that works well is better than an ugly part that works well, IMO.

AnotherNewb

I think you should go with the ebay turbonetics with no box and photo copyed instructions.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hi Matt

Boostdtalon

I have a Hallman and a Synapse MBC. Both work great. Unfortunately the Synapse one is not in production yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

quoting;
AnotherNewb                 
I think you should go with the ebay turbonetics with no box and photo copyed instructions.... Hi Matt

Not funny bro! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif For the record, nobody buy this turd on eBay. Total junk.
I see you just started a new user instead of waiting for your password. Love the title /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Guess that makes us the Newb crew /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned