The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Let me get a opinion

Steve885

So I finally got my car back Saturday from the shop took it for a short 40 mile drive started noticing the clutch was slipping under boost.. So while at the shop we could hear something slapping in the tranny. it got pulled, turned out to be a loose flywheel..the owner suggested I get a lightened fly wheel the clutch was fine so I ran with it.. When I got back and told him about the problem he said it might need a break in period.. Does this sound normal .. I'm not sure what flywheel it is but I know it has a replaceable surface. I think It was clutch masters

galant651

yes. there is a "recomended" break in period. usually around 500 miles. i would keep a close eye on it though cause if they replaced it and didnt torque it right it could cause future damage, and even some immediate damage.

EMX5636

If the slipping clutch you are referring to is the brand new one, you shouldn't be in much boost. You need to let them seat properly before you apply a lot of throttle/power to it. Baby it now, hopefully you didn't glaze the disc badly enough to ruin it.

matt92vr4

So, you have the same clutch with a different flywheel?

Need more details on the flywheel. Is it new? Used? How much power are you putting down? What clutch is it?

IMO break in periods are BS. We use to install new cluches and take the cars immediately to the track. Break in period was from the shop, to the trailer, to the staging lanes. Never had slipping issues. I'm guessing you are not running a lot of boost. I don't think your clutch should be slipping.

I'm going to say that your clutch was already shot, or the flywheel is used and shot.

gvr4ever

The ideal of a break in is so the clutch disk surface can better mate with the flywheel. Same concept as breaks. I've always done it. BS or not, it doesn't take long.

Break in or not, a slipping clutch is very bad. It's a sign of a bad clutch. Only other reason I know that could cause the problem is if the clutch pedal is not adjusted right and isn't releasing all the way, you could actually be ridding the clutch. If nothing was adjusted, then it sounds like the clutch is bad.

*edit* not breaking in your clutch will never cause slipping. A fresh clutch / pressure plate will work, but life might be limited depending on who you ask. I'll stay out of that debate. I seem to recall ACT saying their clutches do NOT need a break in period.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

Oh I agree that a new clutch for a DD should be broken in. Using a new clutch at the track is shortening it's life. My point, which I believe we share, is that a new clutch should not slip irregardless of a break in period.

gvr4ever

Ya, that's what I was trying to say.

If you break in a clutch on a racing car. Are you going to get an extra pass out of it? Yer already beating the piss out of it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned