The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

LC-1 Wideband sensor failures

prove_it

Curious if anyone else has been having issues in keeping the bosch 3737 wideband sensor alive. In the last 30k miles and 4 years I've had 4 sensors fail now. Each one will just stop responding. I've done free air calibration, heater calibration, checked voltages and such. Seems like they are dying to fast. 2 sensors on E85 and 2 on gas have failed. Only moving about 36-38lbs/min air, no leaded fuel, not burning oil, also the sensor is located far down by the front axle in front of the rear subframe. I suspect that they are getting hot, so I'll be adding a heat sink to the new one. Luckily oreilly's auto parts has them for about $50, just don't get why they die so fast.

I was wondering what everyone thinks about this.

EHmotorsports

I've had issues with loosing calibration but haven't had a failure yet. Power surge and getting to hot were my issues. I would install a heat sink.

ktmrider

What is the sensor mounting "angle" or bung placement? With the ground being 6 o'clock you should always keep it between 1000 and 200, ideally 1200/full vertical.

Sensor tip will fill with water/debris/oil/fuel from the exhaust and cause premature failure.

prove_it

Nope mounted at about 1:30. Not sure if winter driving could be causing water build up and "shock" to the sensor. It's hard to think that it's heat related since it's about 2 feet downstream from the turbine outlet, but hey a heatsink can't hurt. Oh and I rarely run anything richer than 11.5:1.

dandanger

Been having mine now for about two years without problems. Drive my car daily plus occasional icetrack/track.

Pic of install:

main.php

prove_it

What depth is your bung mounted at? Been wondering if a bung extender would help.

se7enine

I think the MTX bung is 1" so sensor sits flush with interior of exhaust wall. Isn't the bung supposed to be mounted before the flex pipe?

dandanger

Could be quite close to 1in. There are so many installations than there are people, some use stock place, I decided to put it far as possible from manifold to have it not so hot. Readings in my gauge was not far from pro gear at local dyno so I guess it's working nicely.

se7enine

I'm just wondering if condensation build up is heavier further down stream.

prove_it

It should be as it's colder back there, but I'd think that 2ft downstream would still burn off quickly after start up.

RedTwo

Mines installed as per that photo.
For whatever reason I occasionally get it/the gauge losing signal and flashing the equivalent of '12:00' on a VCR is :/

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned