The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

larger fuel pump, injectors and tune?

paul j

When I get my engine back together it will have been bored 1mm, racing FP manifold, small 16g. Would this require larger injectors or is getting my stock blue ones rebuilt enough? I am thinking this would be a good time to replace the fuel pump (175k), should I go with a larger one? If so what size? Will this new spec engine require a tune of my stock ecu (ecm just checked it & replaced caps which were not leaking)?

transparentdsm

what are your plans? hp wise i mean. are you aiming for big numbers or just gonna run it stockish?

edit: tune wise, if you have an eprom you can have a chip made for the car, if not you will need to have the ecu socketed/converted for an eprom. that is if you go bigger injectors.

also for the fuel pump you can stay stock, i would def get a new sock for it, also new fuel filter. get a rewire kit for it, regardless of upgrading or not. its just a good thing.

how much boost do you plan to run?

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

The stock fuel system will be fine, as long as the boost stays stock. If you decide to upgrade your fuel pump, go with a Walbro 190lph. You shouldn't need a re-tune for the slight overbore of the engine.

tektic

If your upgrading the turbo why would you not turn the boost past 15psi?
Anything past 15 psi should be tuned as the stock ecu has no af maps past 14psi.

I swapped to a 2g maf 920cc fic and programed af maps to 30psi on my chip... My cars still on jack stands though.

LIV4PSI

Sometimes people upgrade to a 16g variant just because they are easy to find as a stock replacement turbo.

LIV4PSI

The OP is in his seventies. While I'm sure he enjoys a peppy car, he isn't living his life a quarter mile at a time.

I understood you were being rhetorical, but I highly doubt $1,000 for ECMlink, more supporting mods and a professional tune were in his plans so he could run more boost

Last edited:

tektic

I was not aware of his age or his intent, just that he added a bigger turbo and was asking about additional fuel supply. I though more boost was inevitable. I didn't think this conclusion was a big jump. Instead of him finding out what boost cut feels like, I mentioned the a/f map cap on the stock ecu's software.

EcM Link is not the only option. I accomplished this with an eprom ecu.
eproms are $5 and all the info you need is on dsmecu.com.

paul j

I had to get a new turbo because 14b had cracked cast iron but otherwise good and I bought a crap paper weight to replace it. I felt the only way not to be screwed again would be to get a new MHI and I might as well go a little larger. I will probably run more boost and I got one of Northern Shores mbc with that intent. I will not go over 20psi from what I have read and maybe not that much depending on what it entails. I am all for easy hp as long as it is reliable for another 175k. I rarely get into boost but I like it when I need it so why not up the pressure. No way would I want a heavy clutch pedal or being annoyed when driving if higher boost gives annoying results such as poor mileage or boost creep. I would never even try a hard launch from a stop. I think another 50hp would be excellent if this combo could provide it but I do not want problems hence the questions on how to ensure that goal. It is daily driver and I intend to pass it on to my kids or maybe great grands when I can not drive anymore. I hope this helps in giving me crucial info for my situation. How much boost increase can I get with my mbc and keep the stock waste gate set up? Good feedback so far, thanks.

tektic

I was running ~17psi with a mbc on my stock 14b with a ported manifold, o2 housing and a 3" turbo back exhaust. The only fuel mods I had at the time was a pump rewire. The problem with this is what i mentioned before... fuel Cut from over boost.

I would recommend a fuel pump rewire and then an eprom ecu with a chip to remove the fuel cut first. Once you get here upgrading injectors becomes much easier.

Or just set the mbc just below the point of fuel cut.

paul j

I will do the re-wire. I also have a 2 1/2" turbo back exhaust to put on. Awhile back I bought a turbo Eclipse eprom ecu to put on 1551 while I sent my original eprom ecu to ecm tuning. My engine redo eliminated the need to use the Eclipse ecu so I sent them both to ecm tuning. They said the Eclipse appeared to have altered injection info on it and was not a quality chip. I told them to put it back to stock specs so I or a buyer of it would have a known starting point. They put another chip in it and sent the altered one back with it. So I can use the altered poor quality one or the stock spec one they put in and keep my VR4 chip as standby or reprogram the VR4 one or get a good quality chip. Not sure what to do but I do not think I want to run into fuel cut off. How long should my original fuel pump last?

tektic

That's a maintenance thing... If its not broke don't fix it? However, If its making noise or the car seems to be leaning out at times replace it quick. Preventative maintenance is good too. When you change it though upgrade it. I do also recommend the rewire. Check the vfaq for details on that.

To get the most out of that turbo upgrade with the best bang for the buck, upgrade to a 2g or 3g maf and a set of evo injectors. Then get the computer programed for the changes. If you shop right you can get all this stuff for around $300 and I'm sure you will be pleased with the difference.

paul j

What do you have to do to install and make a 2g or 3g MAF work?

Should I rebuild the stock injectors or save my money to buy bigger if I get MAF?

What hp and torque can I expect at different boost pressures above stock small 16g settings on this set up?

Last edited:

tektic

To install the maf the plug needs to be rewired or an adaptor can be made or purchased. After that and the obvious plumming issues a look up table and a couple variables need to be changed in the computer software.

I think you would be better of buying low mile evo injectors. Its similar to the changes for the maf. The dead time needs to be changed as well as the global fuel variable.

With bigger maf injectors and more boost you can add between 20 to 50 hp no problem.

paul j

You have given me good info. I just need to digest and think on it. Thanks.
By the way my small 16g is new MHI from dealer in Denver, still in box.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

i have an Evo3 16G with the 2g mas/560cc/190 rewired setup, and for what it is, I think it's a really great combination for the street. Also have 272's, but thats another story. Could use a retune, but i think it's a very smooth and "basic" setup. Haven't experienced a small 16G, but dare I ask how different it could be if not boosting hard?

Last edited:

paul j

I think with my small 16g and 2 1/2" ex it sounds like the 450cc injectors will work. If I go 2g maf, around 20psi boost and eventually need larger injectors would 510cc or 560cc be most logical? It seems they are both early Evo.

LIV4PSI

Go for the 560cc injectors. They are basically the same price and flow more. 510cc injectors are from early EVOs or some JDM VR4s. The 560cc injectors are from USDM EVO VIIIs and IXs

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned