The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just introducting myself

Hey guys my name is Jeff and i just picked myself up a 91 black vr4. (14/2000) Im excited as hell to get started on the build and hope to have this thing puttin down some impressive numbers by spring of '11. As for right now im focusing on getting it running. Im not sure how tight this community is but ill tell u a little bit about myself anyhow. Im 21 years old, work as an automotive tech at a full service shop in apple valley MN and like all the rest of you have an obsession with modding and speed. This IS my first dsm built so you might see some of those questions like, Duh all dsms have that! but just bear with me cause im gonna be fully committed to this built and am putting ALL my extra free time and money into it. It WILL be done right i plan on keeping this car a long time due to how magnificent of shape its in for the age.

Now... I need a clutch to get this thing running and was planning to order the act 2600 with fidanza flywheel combo. If ANYONE has their doubts with these products please say somthing before i spend 620 bucks lol. Im sure someone is gonna ask so ill just throw it out there that im aiming for around 400-500hp when its all said and done. Also guys this car has been sitting like 2 years and needs new tires so what i am going to do is just order some new rims for it and throw lowpros on it. I was thinking id like to do 17's, what size tires do you guys roll with that have aftermarket rims on your vr4s? i dont wanna have to deal with rubbing and yes eventually i will be doing suspention mods so ill need some room to play with for that. thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

This needs to be in the noob section.... mods please move

Boostdtalon

First off welcome. Post up pics when you can and send the VIN to iceman so he can update the registry. The search function here will be a wonderful tool once you learn to use it.

Second it's not a DSM. DSM's are the Talon/Laser/Eclipse made in Normal, Ill. The Galants were made in Japan and have nothing to do with Chrysler. Trust me its better you learn that now. Lol

If it's been sitting that long do all the maintenance you can before you try to build it. Change fluids, gaskets, hoses, and all belts! Why had the car been sitting for so long? Check the entire car for signs of rust. Many people on here have lost cars due to rust. Other have spent alot of time repairing rust. Check the power steering on front and rear. Yes in case you weren aware these cars have all wheel steering driven. They tend to go bad when neglected or in shitty weather.

Most people that have 17's have between 7 to 8 inch rims. With the right suspension you can do a 245 or greater but most I've seen have 235 or under.

Last edited:

Thanks for the response and sorry for posting in general. I most definitly do all the fluid/belt maintenance as soon as i buy a new car. To me thats just a given. As far as rust goes i got pretty lucky because it has Very minimal rust. The paint is in good shape too. Engine bay is very clean and the stock internals were rebuilt shortly before he put it in storage. The rear steering has been disabled so im told due to poor handling at higher speeds? I havent thrown it up on the hoist to check out what he did to "disable it" but im sure i can handle it. 245 sounds like over kill for me for width on my tires maybe a 225. Howbout sidwalls? thanks! pics will be up in the next couple days in a reply on this thread. Also i forgot to mention my roommate picked up a 92 last week so we have 2 of them. Ill have him join the forum soon here meanwhile ill go get his vin and badge #.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

Sorry bout the harshness.

Post pics/mods/problems/questions in the proper place.

And what color and if I didn't read it what number are you. Again pm iceman he keeps a registry for us. Say hello to Hertz the owner and king of all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

You just joined the most knowlegable car group in the world.

I will, I'm not tryin to screw up organization here I just don't like to think of myself as a newbie lol. But ill just have to accept that in the vr4 world i am very much a newbie. My vr4 is nile black with the stock rims painted black. My roommate's is white with the stock rims painted white. But like i said im switching my rims out probably this week. I get rims and tires at cost so i figure what the hell, get it out of the way. Ok now im a bit confused here... I just went and looked at my roommates car and its 801/1000 but the catalyst sticker on the hood shows its a 91. I thought they shipped 2000 of the 91s and 1000 of the 92's. Am i right and he just has a 91 hood or am i wrong? I will pm iceman paul wall once i get my car flatbedded here tomorrow morning. ill get him both vins.

Damn, and we thought we were being original... at least we can have meets without driving across the country lol. How many that you know of??

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting wingnuts:
I will, I'm not tryin to screw up organization here I just don't like to think of myself as a newbie lol. But ill just have to accept that in the vr4 world i am very much a newbie. My vr4 is nile black with the stock rims painted black. My roommate's is white with the stock rims painted white. But like i said im switching my rims out probably this week. I get rims and tires at cost so i figure what the hell, get it out of the way. Ok now im a bit confused here... I just went and looked at my roommates car and its 801/1000 but the catalyst sticker on the hood shows its a 91. I thought they shipped 2000 of the 91s and 1000 of the 92's. Am i right and he just has a 91 hood or am i wrong? I will pm iceman paul wall once i get my car flatbedded here tomorrow morning. ill get him both vins.

Switched hoods somewhere along the line maybe. We can verify by the VIN (and make sure it matches the stamping on the firewall).

Diego

There's at least 8 members I see post from MN, but sure there's more hiding.

Nartanian

Yea and I know a buddy that owns two of them but sold one. So he has one left. He doesn't want to join the forums though. He's actually trying to get rid of his. Anyways welcome. Post some pics when ya can.

Last edited:

OMFGeofffff

BTW stock rims came the same color as the car from the factory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lol, thats jdm as f***. Im so in love already, hell yeah for the numbers in MN too.

OMFGeofffff

Dude are we the same person? I'm jeff and 21 as well. If you need any help with your car or anything let me know I live like 25 min south of where you work.

Thats crazy dude. Finally have some pics heres a few.

Tell me what you'll think, personally i think its in very good shape. ill get some more detailed pics tomorrow after i wash it and show you the interior. interior is mint! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OMFGeofffff

Its funny I actually emailed that guy a question about the car last week and a few days ago he emailed me back saying that I can pick up the car the next day like we've already been working out a deal. Must of got us confused lol

trunks

Ah, the old trunk full of parts. I've owned mine for 4 months and finally got all the spare parts out of it last night.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned