The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM HOOD VENTS

I am looking at some hood vents on ebay and was wondering if the jdm hoods have a stamped kinda lowered area were the hood vents fit into like on the subaru hoods? I was wondering if i could just cut a hole in my hood or what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Yes the jdm hoods were made specifically for vents to rest in. The US hoods do not have that so if you cut holes in your hood the vents just kind of sit on the hood. People have done it but it is not recommended.

See the mold of the vent area in this jdm hood. Pic is from turbowop.

GreenGSX

The One Lap VR-4 has jdm hood vents on a US hood and its not a job for the faint of heart. You have to cut the hood and the under hood support and then fab up a clip system to hold the vents in place. Even then you might need some 3M tape to help hold it flush.

fuel

underneath the vents is an aluminium panel as well - I can take photos of the whole setup if you wish.

GIjoe

fuel

you would really have to press a lip down into the hood to make it like a real JDM 'evolution' hood, which would be quite difficult. you would probably be better off cutting out a larger hole and then making up a fiberglass section which has the recessed lip.

GIjoe

^^yeah, thats what I was thinking. Sounds like a major PITA...
oh btw I have a pair of OEM JDM RARE MINT VR4 RS EVO hood vents for sale if anyones interested... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Even if you were able to get the top to look "factory", the underneath will still look like sh*t since the hood skeleton is in the way on the non-vented hood. The braces go around the vents on the OEM vented hood.

GIjoe

^^yeah, that makes sense. but I was thinking maybe you could do it an way that it would look at least half decent...

i have a friend that has a fiberglass copy of the JDM hood
its an exact replica so the skeleton is JDM also not a hacked USDM hood.
if that helps any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BrandonEchols

Well sweet...get him to have it molded for those of use that also want one.
Or at least let us know where he got it.

Quoting scout:
i have a friend that has a fiberglass copy of the JDM hood
its an exact replica so the skeleton is JDM also not a hacked USDM hood.
if that helps any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

here's a few pics.

DSCN6522.jpg

DSCN6526.jpg

Tre3zy

does he sells this?

raptorWagon

I think I will just keep searching for the real deal, I don't trust anything that involves Composite materials and GVR4 parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GIjoe

^^can't blame ya! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned