The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Underside of hood vents?

holeshotmoe

Found this and was wondering if it is the matching under-the-hood piece for the vents I see people putting on our cars.

img.php

img.php

img.php

GSX_TC

Yep thats the JDM vented hood underside material. Wanna sell it?

holeshotmoe

Found it yesterday on a Malay website but later saw they had it HERE too. This is the first one I've seen. Is the underside of the jdm hood same as ours? I always wondered how people prevented water from splashing all over the engine.

GSX_TC

When you say "same as ours" are you referring to the JDM hood or US hood? Because those are the JDM vented hood insulation material on that link.

slugsgomoo

The JDM hood has a different bracing structure than the US hood, and just cutting it up to put the vents in isn't going to be the same as getting a legit RS hood. At least in my opinion, those braces are there for a reason.

holeshotmoe

Quoting GSX_TC:
When you say "same as ours" are you referring to the JDM hood or US hood? Because those are the JDM vented hood insulation material on that link.

Yeah, I was asking if the hood in the pic was a usdm or jdm or whatever, because the bracing looked different. I see people chopping their hoods up to put in vents, but never saw that they installed anything like that piece to redirect rain water away from the cam cover. While the vents look great and provide heat venting, I wondered how they were preventing water filling the recess in the cam cover when it rained. :-O It looks like this piece would channel the water to drain above or near the radiator?

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

So, I found this thread in search of an answer to a question. I see many members here with the RS hoods have removed this metal under-hood vent cover. I'm assuming this makes the hood a little more functional, and actually vents the engine compartment a bit better. My question is, without the metal cover in place, don't you guys get water in the engine compartment? The guys who probably don't DD their cars I assume aren't really worried about it, but for those of you who do, does your engine compartment get flooded? What's the word on this, and what does this part actually do?
img.php

transparentdsm

on my hood when i took that metal shield off i had 2 plates covering the vent holes. so i remove them in the summer time and put them back in when it gets to be winter or if its going to rain out. i keep them in a bag in the trunk with a 10mm ratchet, it only takes like 10 seconds to do. here are some pictures i just took.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned