The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Installed the HX35 this weekend

Jesh

Well after about a year of doing research and gathering parts I finally got around to Installing the entire setup and I must say it did not disappoint, I even managed to keep the factory radiator! And now pictures for your viewing pleasure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jesh

Well the drain did fit without shaving, but it was a pretty tight fit so I shaved maybe 1/16th of an inch just to be safe. I also didn't use the typical oil drain.
Observe...

OZRally

Congrats!
Make sure that oil drain is no smaller than 19mm. Are you running a restrictor for the feed off the ofh? These turbos are very picky with oil feed/return. Be sure to make a nice 4" intake with quality filter. The setup u have now is going to draw heat from the radiator.

Jesh

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about the oil drain I have a 7/8 fitting going to a 1" hose. Oil is feeding from the head and the oil pressure is within spec according to Holset, I hooked up a guage to the turbo and checked. And as far as the intake goes, My intake temps aren't to bad at all, with it being winter in Alaska my intake temps are 35F. I plan on making a intake in the future but that will require some moving of other parts and what not, so for now this will work just fine.

4thStroke

It helps the turbo make more power with some sort of intake. The only thing worse than that is just an air filter on the housing followed by chicken wire over the inlet.

blackvr4

Set up looks awesome! I have a holset and a bunch of parts laying around waiting for go on the Galant. I really like how you ran your intercooler pipe out of the turbo, but personally I think it is too close to the exhaust manifold and being aluminum it is going to heat up and retain heat for a very long period of time. Have you thought about maybe using exhaust wrap around it, Might help more than the tape you are using on it.

I just have a few questions/comments.

- What radiator did you end up using?

- How big is your intercooler pipe coming out of the turbo?

- Also I think running some sort of intake on the turbo helps make more power from what I have read in the past, because I think the air is able to build more velocity before the turbo and it also wont be the same air that just passed through your hot radiator.

- And feeding from the head is the best place, I have been running and HX35 on my talon for 3+ years now daily driving it at 30psi and the turbo is bullet proof!

- I also like how you mounted the intercooler!

Good luck with the car man!

Last edited:

Jesh

"blackvr4"
Thanks for the feedback. And to answer your questions, the pipe isn't actually aluminum. It's just plan old steel pipe, which I know isn't ideal by any means but its what I had to work with at the time. I was thinking about using exhaust wrap (I still might) but for the time being the tape is better than nothing. The radiator is actually the factory unit, it was quite a tight fit as you can see, but I did manage to fit it in there. The intercooler piping is 3" from the turbo to the throttle body, I know its a little overkill but it works. There are still lots of little refinements I am going to make over time, (the lack of intake for starters) but for now I'm happy with it, and it has more than enough power to put a grin on my face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

blackvr4

Yea I was going to say the pipe looked like 3" but I wasnt sure. I was planning to squeeze my intercooler pipe running underneath similar to how they run on DSMs. Just not sure if it will all squeeze in there. I do like that you where able to squeeze it in there with the stock radiator, because I really did not want to have to fabricate a honda radiator to fit. Maybe I will try to run my intercooler pipe in a similar fashion as yours. I am surprised you where able to get such good clearance between the waterpipe and the turbo with the turbo clocked in that position!

The thermal tape is better than nothing and I think it looks worlds better than the thermal exhaust wrap (it looks like you really took your time with it and really wrapped the pipe nicely), but I think the exhaust wrap works really good at blocking heat. downside is it is a bit ugly when compared to the thermal tape.

Keep us updated on the progress!

And remember Holsets LOVE boost, once I cranked my 8 blade over ~22psi it got REALLY fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Jesh

Hmm... I might just have to throw some exhaust wrap on that pipe and see if it makes any difference on intake temps. Oh and I didn't actually have to dent the water pipe as much as I thought I would have, just had to use a n/t water pipe. The fitting on the bottom of the turbo pipe makes it so you can't get the clearance you need with the turbo clocked in this position.

Alex

Dude your in alaska??That's awesome represent haha.. I live in anchorage and I have a holset h1e on my talon. You should hit me up man I'd love to check out your gvr4 if you come to town. What engine management are you running?? Link I assume?

Alex

Jesh

Yep running dsmlink v3 in speed density mode. After some fiddling around with it it's pretty easy to use and tune. All I can say is I picked the wrong time of year to install this turbo, I can't get much grip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif But I did manage to get a couple clean pulls and log over 43lbs of air at only 23-24psi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

Any Videos of those pulls? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jesh

Well hit a little snag, pulled out on the highway and started to pull and POP! coupler blew off the pipe. So I spent about 10 minutes in 5F with a 20 degree wind chill getting it put back on and just took it easy the rest of the way home. So I won't be doing anything crazy till I get that sorted out, along with a few other little problems.

Hksvr4

Nice set up. I had an HX35 and it pulled hard and early. Went to dyno for numbers but the Magnus intake cracked on the dyno. Repaired it and never went back then sold the car. I sold it in 07 and I think the owner still has it on the car now. Btw, if you can test for boost leaks. You can make one out of plumbers piping and a tire valve.

WaRrIoRs16

Quoting Jesh:
Well hit a little snag, pulled out on the highway and started to pull and POP! coupler blew off the pipe. So I spent about 10 minutes in 5F with a 20 degree wind chill getting it put back on and just took it easy the rest of the way home. So I won't be doing anything crazy till I get that sorted out, along with a few other little problems.

Forget that, 5F? Speed density says you can fix that sh*t when you get home in the garage lol.

Alex

Yea it's been really windy in anchorage as well, freaking crazy monkey balls lol. I know that was a bad analogy but oh well haha. Yea dude check for some boost leaks and I say order up some t-bolt clamps from silcioneintakes.com those guys are awesome and they offer usps priority to alaska.

Alex

Jesh

Yeah I'm thinking that some t-bolt clamps would be a good idea. Also going to weld some beads onto the pipe this weekend so it won't pop off near as easy. After that I'll do a boost leak test and make sure it can hold at least 30psi. And then I will hopefully get a video of some pulls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KiNgMaRtY

Wow, looks like a nice fit, a little tight, but nice. I want to eventually put in an HX-35 in my GVR-4 as well.

Gombos

Nice setup! I have an HX35 waiting to go on #806, just gathering the last few parts to make it happen.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned