The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I am no longer a ricer...

Nartanian

I'm started recirculating my hks bov today and what a huge difference! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif No more sputtering, kicking, car dying and turbo over working itself. To anyone venting to atmosphere on a stock mas, please recirculate. That is all.

PS: I'm still working on kicking the rest of the ricer habit out though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

2010-04-16180324.jpg

Last edited:

CarRacer

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Might I add, about damn time. :p

Nartanian

I bought it like that and I thought it sounded siq... Till I lost to a NA prelude. Every time I went past 5k the engine would sputter and backfire. I though it was my spark plugs and wires the whole time. Turn out CR was spot on though. Now the turbo spools a lot quicker and my rpm doesn't drop like a rock between shifts anymore and feels a lot more healthier.

Last edited:

2of9

I like where you placed that sticker! LOL. nice.

This isn't making sense to me. Recirculating the bov makes sense because of in between shifts and recovery time, however WOT throttle past 5k you shouldn't be breaking up because its not recirculated. Boost keeps the pull type valve shut(HKS) and it won't leak through the valve unless you have another issue. If that stopped when you recirculated it still means you are LEAKING boost but just back into your intake where it is metered but your car would still be losing power.

Do a boost leak test because honestly when everything is sealed up tight you shouldnt have that issue on a vented bov on a maf car. I ran venting on multiple maf cars (Not jst mitsu) and the recovery from shifts and the occasional stall from fast stops where the only ill effects.

Street Surgeon

I agree with crankwalk, 501 has a non-recirc'd HKS SSQV and she still pulls just fine. It's not the best way to do business but that's how I got it.

4thStroke

The only time I had driveabiity issues with a VTA valve and a Mitsu MAF was in between shifts. Otherwise, it ran perfectly fine.

Nartanian

Well I found out why I couldn't hold 15psi after 6k. I still hold my stand that recirculating the stock maf will feel better than going non recirculated. The bov is still loud too. With a non recirculated setup, I couldn't hit boost then go to neutral without the car dies. Same goes for quick stops.

2010-04-17172403.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif I bet that was a boost leak and 1/2, Fixing or upgrading?

I always experienced fuel cut in my 2g when VTA with a Greddy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Nartanian

Yea, plan on upgrading. Working a custom piping for an Evo 8 fmic. Hopefully will be done this week.

Quoting Nartanian:
Well I found out why I couldn't hold 15psi after 6k. I still hold my stand that recirculating the stock maf will feel better than going non recirculated. The bov is still loud too. With a non recirculated setup, I couldn't hit boost then go to neutral without the car dies. Same goes for quick stops.

2010-04-17172403.jpg

That looks like a boost leak to me. That was the main problem. Full boost then going to neutral and it dying IS a symptom of VTA on a maf. Breaking up and hitting fuel cut isn't unless something else is going on, IE you had the boost turned up on an intercooler that is the size of a baby's fist.

DR1665

Glad to hear you're back on the wagon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Nartanian

Yes, my oil cooler was causing a lot of issues because all the oil would flow out and not lubricate the boost that was being forced into my vtak engine. On the other hand my Intercooler wasn't doing it's job too well either...

2010-04-17175547.jpg

I ended up switching to an Evo 8 oil cooler instead.

2010-04-09153805.jpg

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

Quoting Dbossman:
I always experienced fuel cut in my 2g when VTA with a Greddy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I concure with bossman. His 2g GSX Hit fuel cut fast with a greddy rs VTA and had all of his fuel trims maxed out. Recuirculated and it ran like a champ and never fuel cut from that day forth.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned