The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hows your meth setup

MellowVR4

ive been thinking on goin with the METH, found a couple ways to install it. I have dsmlink, so can i just hook it up to link or can i just have it come on at after a certain boost setting. Hows your meth setup hooked up, If you dont mind to share, please do. Thanks in advanced.

GSTwithPSI

Well you can check out this thread: click

A similar setup is going on my car. I have a Snow Performance stage 2 kit that is controlled by a progressive controller. It takes a boost signal and ramps pump voltage to make a water/meth injection curve. I'm planning to run it very much like Wop has his setup in the link above, except with the addition of a progressive pump controller. His setup uses a dual tuning map for the meth, and also has redundant checks built in to ensure the car knows the system is actually moving liquid.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

I like progressive controllers. I have a Labonte controller on my STI.

MellowVR4

i just found this

click

MellowVR4

Also, do i need some special brand mix of meth? or can i just use windshield washer fluid???

LIV4PSI

You can just use washer fluid. A 50/50 mix with water is common. Not all washer fluids are pure methanol so just make sure you buy the right brand

Also, IMO dual nozzles are overkill. I would add a check valve. I also found it cheaper to piece together my kit from Devils Own, buying the controller and tank elsewhere.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Devils own was the kit i was goin with minus the reservoir, ill just use my oem tank.

MellowVR4

so just the blue washer fluid would do just fine?

turbowop

I use pure methanol purchased from the same places you get racegas from. It's cheap enough and I feel a bit more comfortable knowing its something meant to be used as a fuel, not as a window cleaner with other things mixed in.

MellowVR4

i need to do some research to see where i can get some around my area.

LIV4PSI

Quoting turbowop:
I use pure methanol purchased from the same places you get racegas from. It's cheap enough and I feel a bit more comfortable knowing its something meant to be used as a fuel, not as a window cleaner with other things mixed in.

Other things aren't always mixed in. The bottles I use say 100% methanol on them.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Because of European environmental standards, many car companies are switching to ethanol for windshield washer fluid, so be aware.

turbowop

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Quoting turbowop:

Other things aren't always mixed in. The bottles I use say 100% methanol on them.

Is the fluid clear? I ask because sometimes the coloring sh*t gets into the pump and other components. For me, the more pure it is, the better. One thing I don't want to have issues with is methanol at WOT when I'm running 30psi and the timing is turned up.

JNR

HEET (not Iso-Heet) is 99% methanol, fwiw. [EDIT - pulled the MSDS from Grainger although if you want to know what is in something, search for its MSDS and go to the source, rather than internet hearsay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some washer fluids have higher amounts of methanol than others (but the highest seems to be in the 30-50% range), but most do not have much (~5-10% if that); a quick clue they don't is if it only states 32 F and up, where as the lower numbers (like -20 F) would have more %, but still has other things...seen various colors and I'm sure there are clear ones out there too (with the higher meth %) if that's a concern, but can't say that is 100% true..high meth % washer fluid is not common here, since we do not get cold weather, but it does exist of course. Be careful with washer fluid though, since many also have glycol (not good for W/M inj.)

Last edited:

MellowVR4

yeah thats what i was concerned with the antifreeze additive. my guy knows a place around where i can get the pure stuff by 5gal incraments which should last me a long time.

LIV4PSI

My tuner and the owner of Devils Own told me washer fluid was fine. I've been running it for years in my STI with no issues. Just my opinion, but the stuff made for racing can't hurt either. Also my car isn't tuned for it, its just a safe guard since Subaru ringlands crack when you look at them wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

EMX5636

I'm running dual nozzles (500cc x2) with an inline shutoff solenoid that is just a more expensive check valve. I run VP M1 methanol mixed 50/50 with distilled water. I've seen and heard of the blue washer fluid building up inside the nozzle and intake manifold. Your call though. A 5gal can of methanol can last me a pretty long time.

I'm using DSMLink to control mine. It won't come on under 20mph (keeps it from spraying while I'm spinning in 1st and 2nd) and turns on about 17-19psi above 3k or so RPM. I can get my actual numbers from Link if you want them. It will also turn off with the clutch switch, which keeps it from spraying while shifting and on the launch. Also lets me run the AUX map as my meth map, and keeps the main maps as my lower boost, straight pump map.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

i just dont know how to set it up on link. so i was just gona use the controller that comes with the kit.

turbowop

ECMlink is by far the best way to do it as well as make more power. The aux maps are awesome for tuning. And being able to control when it turns on with whatever parameter you want is nice. My failsafes are outside of ECMlink, but I do use it for the secondary maps to pull fuel and add timing. And I will be adding new parameters to keep it from spraying when building boost at the line while stutterboxing. Right now it's setup on a Hobbs switch, but that is going to change come spring.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

i would love to set it up this way for when i go get it tuned again. I just dont know what wire goes where and what not.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned