The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Meth check list

MellowVR4

Hello all, I have everything wired up and installed. All I have to do is fill her up with meth/water 50/50 and pop the fuse in. Is their anything I should do before I decide to run this? Right now i'm at about 13psi at the wastegate, My plan was to crank the boost and run the meth and see how it does. Is that a bad idea? Should I mess with link or anything like that before I fill her up? Any help would be awesome... Thanks in advanced.

Quick background on my setup:

60trim externally WG
1000cc
FMIC
255 rewired
afpr
and yatayatayata.

prove_it

I would verify that the nozzle actually sprays first. Just to be sure your good to go. Then make sure there are no leaks.

MellowVR4

pretty much just put power to the pump and see if she sprays?

manikbastrd

I ran meth on 724, I tested the sprayer, which was based on boost input with a compressor, then installed. I wouldn't just crank the boost...I would recommend running it with meth, then adding timing (one of the big benefits of meth) Since you will be running a higher effective octane rating with a cooler intake charge...Either that or put a conservative tune on it, and add boost bit by bit. You will still have to play with timing though. Hope this helps a little.

prove_it

Quoting MellowVR4:
pretty much just put power to the pump and see if she sprays?

Best way is to try and simulate the switch or whatever activates the meth injection. That way your testing the electronic control side too.

MellowVR4

Good calls guys, I will do that. Anything else I should do?

Brianawd

Make sure the meth kit is working like it should. I would tune it with low timing and low boost. Watch afr and knock. If all is good I would add a little more boost and log again. If still no knock then add some timing and repeat. Keep doing this tell you get some knock. Once you get some knock take a few degs of timing away and see if the knock is still there. Ifs its gone. you can keep the tune there or to be on the safe side turn the boost down a few lbs.

MellowVR4

Thanks for the advice.

So I can just tap into a vacuum line and add some compressed air and watch my gauge and see if everything jives with the controller? sounds pretty simple.

prove_it

Are you commanding the injection with LINK?

MellowVR4

No, with the controller that devils own meth kit comes with.

GSTwithPSI

You probably want to wire in a fail safe. Preferably something that shuts down the car, or at least alerts you that the system isn't working. You usually want something that monitors pressure to the nozzle, like a hobbs switch or equivalent. If you have a safe tune on meth, and then run out of meth, sh*t can go south pretty quick.

Just think about it, the kit may never break, but it will always run out of meth at some point. Chances are, you'll run out unknowingly or forget to check the tank level no matter how diligent you are about monitoring it.

Mark put the wiring diagram for his setup up a while ago. It is pretty robust, and offers a failsafe feature. The wiring aspects of the diagram are pretty much universal, and can be directly applied to your setup even though the triggers and controller are a bit different for you.

Here's the thread: click

turbowop

That day at the dyno was interesting. I ended up reverting to the old wiring and using a second relay to reverse the voltage before the ecu input. For some reason at WOT, the meth kit would turn on and spray even with the master switch turned off. Something was wonky and the ecu would see a ground signal the way I had it. But it's been working fine ever since I changed the wiring on the dyno.

Spraying 100% methanol through an m15 jet now. I pull out about 15% fuel when meth sprays so I'm able to run smaller injectors (950's). I think the car makes 60-70whp more on meth with the boost turned up and increased timing. Well worth it if e85 isn't an option.

MellowVR4

Yea, I'm curious to see how this time around would be at the dyno with my new setup. Trying to get in the over 400.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned