The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Methanol setup for my vr4

presterone

I asked a guy who had land speed car with a 4g63T and he said 1600 is a safe EGT to be at. I trust his word I can't think of a harder test on an engine that Full WOT for a long ass time lolllzzz

turbowop

I see near 1600°F (1550°ish) on long uphill grades just cruising at 80mph. Back when I used EGT to tune before widebands were that commonplace, I would see 1650°F thru the traps at the strip. Now that I use a wideband and 'link, I don't pay attention to EGT. In fact, I think I need a new probe anyway, and it's been years. Just get your AFRs where you want them and adjust timing and/or boost according to knock, rather than using EGT. IMO

Fiascoxl

I run my methanol triggered off of link. I use the egr signal output to activate a relay which turns the pump on. This with the ability to subtract global fuel trim from the injector scaling via aux fuel when egr active makes it a breeze to dial in. I use load factor as a trigger point that way no matter the scenario when the load was reached at the set point the methanol sprays.

I was initially running the aem control box that comes with the kit but this was just a headache to try and run inline with the ecmlink aux feature. I do still have the box somewhere if you are interested in it, I assume you aren't using link so this could piggyback nicely for you.

prove_it

Yea I called a couple buddies that messed with EGT a lot back in the day. They said 1800 with a 20g at 25psi wasn't too uncommon. 1600 is safe, 1800 is getting a bit warm.

prove_it

Quoting turbowop:
I think I need a new probe anyway, and it's been years.

Yea I bet you do.

turbowop

Well the probe on there now works fine, but it was made by some Omega company and when I had it made I had the probe sheathed so that the tip couldn't break off and go thru my turbine. Unfortunately, that made its reaction time REALLY slow. Now that I don't really use EGT, I plan to get an unsheathed probe and just put it in the downpipe. Then I'll just monitor temps to make sure they're always consistent.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned