The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to tell if i have a 3bar map sensor?

dsm10o0

I got 2 gm MAP sensors as im piecing together my speed density stuff.

How do i know/tell if these are 3-bar map sensors? I got one of them from a 4 cyl. saturn and the other is from a v6 buick.

numbers on them are
103 7259
on top:
back:

other one is
039 5051
top:
back: AA-5

let me know, thanks

prove_it

I'm pretty sure if you pulled them from non turbo gm products they will not work. Only turbo model GM cars came with sensors capable of reading postive pressure.

Again, I think so, could be wrong.

dsm10o0

oh ok. thanks. also, which one do i need? 3 bar map or a 4 bar? I plan to boost around 18-22 psi

Bar is just another form of pressure reading. I didnt realize it at first myself.

click

3 bar is 43.51 psi. So a 3 bar map sensor would work fine for you unless you plan to run more than 43.51 psi of boost.

dsm10o0

alright cool. thanks. Now i gotta figure out what this sensor is.

mikus

+1 for needs to be a turbo application.
I recall hearing that only the illustrious 89 trans am turbo had one that's a fit for ECMlink/SD, but I would guess others out there could work (but not those you have)

just a quick note...yes 3 bar = 43.51 psi however you have to subtract atmospheric pressure from that (14.7 psi) which equals about 28.8 psi of boost before the map sensor is maxed out....just fyi :-D

not a problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif....I didnt realize it myself until I got bored and looked it up........basically its just absolute pressure - atmospheric pressure = gage pressure......the 14.7 psi is "standard" atm pressure but it is a little different (+/-) about 1 psi depending on where you live.

prove_it

^agreed

I believe that all sensors are sold advertising their range. Always subtract 1 bar for your vacuum readings. Also to note, the GM 3 bar sensor reads great down to 18-20in vac, however there is a 3.3 bar sensor, but that one is rumored to be only good to 10in vac.

I would just pick up a GM 3 bar sensor. You'll be good up to 30lbs of boost, with good idle readings. Search the internet, but be sure its a genuine GM sensor. Also you'll need the pigtail, which I recommend getting a new one so you won't have any voltage drop.

dsm10o0

alright, thank you guys for the help. Figured out 1 of the sensor is 1 bar, but the other, cant find anything about it.

prove_it

I'm pretty positive the sensors will not work. You need a sensor from 1989 pontiac trans am turbo.

You'll have to bite the bullet and spend some cash. Check dsmtuners, you might snag a used one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned