The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How stupid am I: #931 spring upgrades

NateCrisman

Quoting 1457gvr4:
Dang, i bet that was a freakin big mess. I thought i took all the oil out of an engine before i set it upside down on the work bench only to have a quart or two of residual oil spill all over the place.

Or how about refilling the tranny before you put the drain plug back in? Gotta love that one.

I did similar one time, I had an engine on a stand that I guess had not completely drained and still had a pan on it. I flipped it and made a gigantic mess of coolant/oil mix all over my pants/shoes.

oh well. it happens. best you can do is look back and laugh at it.

But I am glad my stupid mistake happens on something easy to swap like a rear diff. It's just too disappointing to make a big mistake on an engine and have to pull it again.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting fivestardsm:

And I can't even tell you how many times I left the screwdriver in the back of the block and tried to roll the engine over and heard nothing but a clank.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Almost did that yesterday doing a t-belt job on my 2.4 Spyder.

Memo to self: Crank bolt is not tight yet.

NateCrisman

GTluke is the best. He came up tonight ad brought some parts: a good ring and pinion gear & lsd carrier.

I pulled the 4bolt out...holy crap: I MELTED the pinion gear. It was SMEARED into the ring gear.

So we get all the junk out of my 4bolt case and clean out all the metal shavings and knock out the bearing races.

We take his good pinion gear with good bearings and install it in my case, then find out his carrier is a 3 bolt one for smaller axles...no good.

So we take his good ring gear and put it on my smelly 4bolt carrier/bearings. Somehow the side bearings still were totally fine, not chipped and still smooth.

We ended up using Luke's good pinion gear, ring gear, and pinion bearings with my existing 4bolt case and lsd carrier. hopefully this "home brew rebuild" will hold up for a while. Luke gave his stamp of approval on the gear mesh and pinion bearing drag, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Will stick the rear and axles back in tonight and go for a test drive (with gear oil this time):biggrin:

Carnage pics:
489223575_dWjG5-XL.jpg

489223630_5nQbj-XL.jpg

489223683_pjgxk-XL.jpg

489223491_eNtYA-XL.jpg

NateCrisman

Oh sweet success.
The car drives great now.

lower mileage 1G front hubs (original 1g bearings)
the different wheels with fresh balance and new tires
driveshaft bolted up with correct bushings
frankenstein rebuilt 4bolt diff (noise free! GTluke rocks!)
new transfer case (literally shiney brand new)
rebuilt front axles
new oem 2g clutch disk
engine mounts correct, which makes the driveshaft angle closer to correct.

the car drives wonderful. no drivetrain noise, it's smooth, and the transition from on/off throttle has no clunk. All these new parts must have reduced all the play in drivetrain parts alot, as the car previously had a alot of slack where throttle transitions would give a clunk. It shifts good, clutch works good. Seems the driveline is now solid and ready for anything I'm going to toss at it.

I'm super happy now. Next thing to tackle is some interior changes, mostly swapping in better condition stuff from the last parts car:
all seats
center console
radio head unit
misc interior plastics

Gotta figure out mounting spot for greddy profec B (it's homo see-through blue so I'd like to hide it). It was in the center console, but it prevents the cup holder from fitting in, so it's gotta move somewhere. It doesn't fit in the 89 flip pocket like an AFC does.:( Glovebox I guess for now.

Gotta order radio mounting brackets from jnz and a cover plate/pocket for the unused slot. I think Im going to just go without any gauges for a while, as I just don't want the hassle of cluttering up the dash with more wiring. I can log/display A/F and boost on the palm anyway if I need to adjust boost or check A/F.

Then it's on to engine projects and body restore. I'v got a set of HKS 264/272 cams that I'll likely put in, and do Tbelt maintenance and BSE kit at the same time.

Got some wicked boost creep. Evo3 16G with a "normal 16g" turbine housing. Stock 1g o2 housing. unknown manifold. I don't know if anything is ported correctly. I have a dump to atmosphere o2 housing here that I could put on, maybe that would help without taking the whole shebang off?
(but those are f***ing loud and annoying to drive everyday IMHO)

plus gotta make some progress on tuning the DSMap setup. Atleast it runs wot with the creep to 23psi safely. no knock, mid 9's for AF. It isn't tuned really at all yet, but it's safe to start out.

Anyone know if Island has been open at all yet?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned