The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to price a GVR4 that needs work

Cooter

I'm not a mechanic, but I am handy enough to do some work myself. I'm looking at a 1992 GVR4 (893/1000 I don't think the owner is present on the forum but I could be wrong on that, if I am: Hello). In estimation it needs attention to the coolant system, electrical, paint, and perhaps exhaust(w/ cat) and clutch.

The engine looks has received some attention so that's good. The turbo/engine management wouldn't have been my first choice, but they are updated.

Some of this is DIY work and some of this is pricey.

What would you all imagine is a fair offer for this?

I know I'm a newb, but if I can get this right I'll be putting money into restoring a piece of automotive history, so don't rip me too much my heart's in the right place.

prove_it

Without knowing mileage, body condition, mods, and other key info on the car a keyboard appraisal is pretty tough.

Cooter

Miles are around 150k but "All bearings and gaskets from top to bottom have been replaced"

Also "Turbonetics turbo and t3 turbonetics manifold, tial Q50 bov, tial 38mm wastegate, larger front mount intercooler rated at 600hp, 9.0 pistons from a 1g. 3in exhaust. 340Lph pump with 6AN fuel lines front to back, evo injectors , afsc2 for fuel management." That is I fuel management system I don't know thing one about.

The title is clean, the panels look good, we don't get a lot of rust down here. The clear coat is more or less baked off by the sun.

I know you can't tell me what to do from the internet, but maybe you can spot a landmine I'd miss out of ignorance.

Thanks.

jeverts

The afsc2 is probably a APEXI SAFC 2 in which case is useless over 275ish range.

9.0 1g pistons I have never heard of? I could be wrong I though. I thought all OEM pistons were 8.5 to 1.

92_talon_awd

^^ Non turbo 1g pistons. I've seen them boosted, but not very high.

EDIT: The 1g turbo dsm pistons are 7.8 also, 8.5 is for 2g pistons.

Last edited:

prove_it

Anytime you buy a car with loads of mods on it, especially that list, I'd be cautious. Not everyone that mods cars does it right. If it looks hacked up, or patched to together without any rhyme or reason, then more than likely you'll be sorting out lots of issues to get it right.

Anyone who uses a SAFC to run bigger injectors anymore clearly has no idea about proper management. At least now in day, back in 02 sure, it was the norm.

Hard to say without seeing it, but I'd say paying anything over 4k is a bad idea. I'd really be careful with 3k even.

Does this guy even have all the receipts for said work, or at least pics of the process?

Cooter

Thanks for all your insight guys.

The price is lower, 3.5k, which is why I was considering it. But it might be better to find something a little bit more sorted out considering I'd have to put the difference into it regardless.

G

Staff member
You forgot one of the most evaluation factors. Rust.

tektic

If it has nt 9:1 pistons expect to have major engine failure from over boosting. By over boosting I mean 15psi.

I wouldn't consider it knowing it has a boosted nt motor unless I had a engine on a stand ready to swap in when I blew it up.

Galant will be a money pit in general. You sound like your considering a lawn ornament.

prove_it

Yea, but dude, NA computer running SAFC, no way would it blow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Cooter

I'm glad I asked.

I know that in general boosted engines tend to have lower static compression ratios than NA engines of the same type. But That can mean 9:1 vs. 10:1. or 7.5:1 vs. 8.5:1 depending on what that engine is and what it's built to do. To be honest I glossed right over that because I don't know a ton about this powerplant. These days compression ratios are pushed higher and higher (I believe for emissions reasons, but I could be wrong on that) and in retrospect for a 24 year old boosted car that should have stuck out to me, but I missed it.

I don't know what motivated the change on this engine but it seems highly irregular.

prove_it

Unless it's a NA block with forged 9.0:1 pistons. The NA block is tough and can be boosted if turbo rods and pistons are swapped in.

It hard to say with a previously modded car. That's why I love virgins.

89Mirageman

Actually the rods would be the same, just thinner wrist pins in the na 4g63's.

tektic

Yeah there is a difference. The way you said 1g 9:1 pistons I just figured stock 9:1 pistons. The only stock pistons that are 9:1 at nt and tend to crack when boosted.

If he can provide recipts for forged internals that's different. However if you still have a lot of things to get sorted out before it, or if it ever becomes a dd, then you may be better of buying an unmolested 2000 something Wrx for 1500 to 2000 more.

For reference I have 8k in my car and drove it 1500 miles. Financial mistake? ha ! I have more than 500 hours into it. Mistake period. I love it though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned