The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

So, how did you learn how to tune your car?

desant78

Hello Gvr4.org

How did you learn how to tune? Was it hanging around a shop? Using google for many hours?

I am going the route of acquiring books on the subject and related subjects to gain some insight and start doing it on my own (hopefully). I am not part of the lucky who grew up around gear heads, and among my friends I am really the only one who has any desire to turn a wrench, let alone understand engine management.

So that's how I plan to do it, how about you?

4thStroke

What are you going to use to tune the car with?

I'm using ECMLink. There is a ton of support from the developers and other users who are using the software. I learned most everything on there and figured it out as I started tuning at low boost. I know the guys at English Racing pretty well and they have helped me out with many questions, me and Luke were bouncing ideas off each other for a while trying to get some of the more tricky setups to work.

gramkrakr89

Hello,

ECMlink is an easy (yet powerful) tuning solution, in that the computer itself is already hard-wired to run the engine you're tuning! All that gets changed are values in memory. There are "better" ways to tune, but few are as simple and easy to use while maintaining all stock equipment.

I gained experience completely on my own, but did lots of research on boards. Asking people who have been there and done that is one of the best ways to solve a problem or avoid problems in the first place. ECMlink is very user-friendly and the software is easy to follow (not to mention continuously supported and upgraded), and the ECMtuning knowledge base is full of good info for first time users.

Also, I've heard nothing but good things about the EVO8 ECU mod... Anyone here with experience in that field?

Last edited:

123abc

I've done a lot of reading online and a lot of trial and error. I didn't have many car friends when I started out with dsms, so it was a learning experience for sure. I use the GM Maf-T until I can afford DSMlink.

Last edited:

DR1665

Technically, I haven't really learned how to tune yet. Spend ridiculous amounts of money, prevent two running vehicles from fitting in 2-car garages, building, breaking, weeping uncontrollably, struggling with rage issues, and wallowing in regret - these are all things I learned to do by spending time online chatting with other gearheads on forums like this one. It's also where I learned a lot of the professional skills I needed to land my current job in knowledge management for a Fortune 500, but there aren't many gearheads interested in that angle. :p

I have played with DSMlink before, and from the little experience I've had with it, I like it a lot, but I've decided to go speed density on an Evo 8 ECU with my race car. Wasn't an easy decision to make, either. I'm fortunate to count John (toybreaker) among my mentors, and he laid out a strong case for 'Link in a rally car. Link is pretty much the standard for 4G63T tuning going on, what, a decade, now? There are hundreds of people actively participating on Link forums to help each other nail down just about any issue you can think of. Link doesn't require hacking the harness. If the ECU shits the bed, chances are you can score a stock DSM ECU and get the car through the race or at least home. Plenty of reasons to go with DSMlink, imo.

But link is also $425-$545. I picked up my 2001 Eclipse RS MT ECU for $125. Looks like the cable to flash it is about $150. That's $275. It involves hacking the harness, but I'm in the process of re-building the harness anyway, so that's moot. There aren't as many people running these ECUs in DSMs/GVR4s, but there are a lot of Evo tuners out these days - far more than DSM, anyway. There also seem to be more Evos at the tracks than DSMs these days, too. In the end, I have more time than money, so I'm going the Evo ECU route.

On to actual tuning, well, I've never even had a car on the dyno before (haven't had any need), but with this car, I'll be taking it in for a nice tune which leaves 20-25% on the table so I can flog the sh*t out of it without worrying about blowing it up.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Reading up on tech forums such as this as well as tuning specific ones and fellow car buddies have helped the most. I have a book somewhere on it, but I've only glanced at it a couple times, use it more for a reference or refresher on terms. Had a friend help get me started with DS-Map when converted 1350 to speed density a few year ago, then from there it was learn as I go. Now, however I'll be using Megasquirt on my current project as it suits my needs, just have to take the time one soon to wire it into the harness and more reading till my eyes bleed.

Last edited by a moderator:

desant78

thanks for all the responses, seems like a bunch are going my route. LOTS and lots and lots of reading between books and forums.

I am personally going to go the AEM route, because of universal the system is. I'm hoping if I get real good at tuning the vr4, I might be half qualified to tune pretty much anything else the box will fit in. I will be running the stock 14b, and trying to tune to roughly 250whp, and this is most as a learning experience. I've got bigger turbos, but sometimes it's the journey not the destination. Once I feel comfortable enough with the tuning software and my capabilities, and I hit my goal, I'll step up to a bigger turbo.

I'll be sure to post results.

onesickcrx

^ damn AEM will be your first try at tuning ?

I started tuning carbs as a young lad, then got my CRX and started messing with fuel pressure and a vafc and Ign timing then it just took off from there

ktmrider

^^ Same here.

If at all possible learn on a NA vehicle, waaay more leeway for the inevitable mistakes that WILL happen...

mikus

I'm still at the low end of the learning curve (probably end around there too heh) but if I could have done one thing different - I'd read a general guideline first instead of studying on a specific car or application platform

I'm reading Engine Mangement: advanced tuning now and it's filling in a lot of general knowledge gaps for me

desant78

^remember how I said I'll be doing lots of reading? Looks like you and I are going the same route. Here are the books I am reading to get smart on my build.

1. general 4g63t information, I'm a noob and this book is very informative. It's written with one of the guys from RRE. 4G63t

2. Next I will be learning about turbos. The goal of this book is to be able to pick out a turbo that will run efficiently for a power goal and given motor. turbo powaa

3. Last I will be reading a book on tuning tuning

which is the same book you suggested! I, just like you seem to be, am really starting from scratch here. So I decided understanding our engines, then our tubos is a start, this will also help me decide upon my first build. Then the next step is understanding the tuning process. Once I am done reading, I will
move on and try to tune the stock turbo with AEM using what I learn from the books.

Quoting ktmrider:
^^ Same here.

If at all possible learn on a NA vehicle, waaay more leeway for the inevitable mistakes that WILL happen...

If i had the option, i would. But I only have my vr4 at my disposal, so I am going to have to be VERY VERY careful. I don't doubt I might mess something up beyond repair, but to have that lack of confidence why try? So the plan is to try and tune real conservative and slowly. And I figured since I'm learning, why not start with AEM EMS since I want to end up there?

I'll keep you guys posted with progress and a build real soon.

onesickcrx

Not to sounds like a downer but I wouldn't recommend the AEM as your first try at tuning.... maybe buy a safc to start then move up to Dsmlink..... I honestly think dsmlink is the way to go for 95% of people

desant78

^ no worries I'll take all the opinions/advice/warnings I can get. I am learning here, so it's all beneficial. I would go that route, and might jump ship if I hit a brick wall. I want to learn how to tune other cars for friends and there projects, so that is why I am going to try and learn AEM. I'm assuming it will be harder then DSMlink, and if I was only intending on every tuning dsm's, i would be going that route in a minute. I have goals to build other cars, so I'm figuring why not try AEM now, I've got plenty of time. In school plenty of classes were related to engines, and my automotive specific classes focused quite a bit on tuning theory, but never the details or how to actually do anything.

So to sum it up, I might be making a massive mistake here, but I'm going to jump straight to AEM and see what happens. If I get no where fast, and decide I can't figure it out, I'm jumping to DSMlink, especially since gvr4.org supports dsmlink. That's the really scary part, when i'm stuck like a newb I can't come running back to this forum for help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

gramkrakr89

I've heard that AEM is notoriously un-friendly to tune... But just like anything else, stick with it and commit to learning things the right way. You'll be better off knowing the AEM system once you've learned it.

beaner

Don't be that guy with a v3 SD setup or AEM and have no idea what's going on. I see it allll the time and I'm totally guilty of doing that in the past. Start with DSMlink, and keep the setup simple. Watch the demos for a basic idea of how to set up idle and cruise. They literally spoon feed you how to do it.

You realize quickly it's not so much "tuning" as it is calibrating. Setting the TPS, fuel pressure, dead time, etc etc etc. Calibrating the MAS was most time consuming for me. V3 helps a lot with that but it's not needed. To me, 'tuning' is when the car is set up correctly (calibrated) and you're experimenting with things like juggling boost/timing on WOT pulls.

MegaSuiter

I mean bare minimum can't you make sure you have all the gauges you need, egt, a/f, oil pressure, boost, etc. Then get a maf-t to be able to adjust the a/f, and the injectors... Wouldn't that be sufficient tuning? I know you could get more in-depth neither link or something, but would the maf-t be enough to have your vehicle running good?

desant78

^i agree. I could have my set up running great, but this is more for the learning experience vs. how easy/effective it will be.

I have always wanted to learn the AEM EMS, but thought for learning it is best to start small. I will run a rebuilt 14b and try to push a tune to maybe 220-250whp.

After that goal and a lot of driving, I will come to a point where I can conclude the tune worked. (basically i don't drive the car once and assume I'm good).

With that, I have an FP3065 that I got really cheap, that I want to run. I will switch over to that set up, and start over again, tuning with AEM EMS.

So this round is more about what I can learn, not so much the "gains" i can get. I think the easiest set up would be the keydriver chips I have, but I am really looking to learn. I understand I am putting my motor at a huge risk by letting me trying to tune it. If I get over my head, I will also have the option of giving the car to a shop to tune, but I really want to do it myself, I find it interesting and wish I knew (for now until I try).

Eventually, this knowledge will be carried over to my vgt dreams /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned