The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New to gvr4

Roger710

Hi all, need to rack up posts so let me introduce myself. Im roger I currently live in California but plan on moving to twin falls Idaho very soon. I currently do not own a gvr4, but once the settlement comes next month that will be a different story. Currently I own a Miata that I do all my own work on, well most of, I'm fairly mechanically inclined when I have the right tools to work with.

I've browsed the forums briefly, looked at the local c.l. ads, as well as the marketplace here, and some other mitsu forums. After doing so I had a few questions I hope haven't been asked to many times or recently. Since I will be moving to a state with an actual winter I wanted a vehicle I don't have to make work in the winter,something 4wd/awd, something fun, something I can grow with, something reliable that won't unnecessarily eat money, and something with a decent aftermarket support. In my search for this I found the gvr4 which I had no idea even existed but caught my interest due to its rally heritage.

My inteded uses for the gvr4 would be primarily a d.d. but something that would be also be able to have fun and do a little off-road. Not looking for major power numbers, just a reliable, fun, well handling car that is capable as well. I've have been primarily looking for a gvr4. I have also looked into a eclipse gsx, or even a Toyota celica all trac if I could find one that meets my criteria.

I've heard when buying used you either get two of three things "fast,cheap,reliable". With that being said what is a clean reliable gvr4 going now days? Having only experienced working on a Miata is the gvr4 going to be "beyond me"? I know salt will kill a car, but Idaho uses sand in winter, will that be a problem?

How is body work on these cars? Do they do good on long distance drives/ road trips? Is there a certain year that is better than the rest? I have been gawking at the 88 rhd gvr4 in the marketplace most recently (https://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=1211990&page=0&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1) but honestly was super turned off by comment number 6 on the 2nd page by steelwheel. Is that car a good starter, am I expecting to much, will most in that price range be an equivalent?

Any time lent to help answer these questions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if these have all been asked before. I'm sure I could ask more but I'll leave it at this for now. Thank you for allowing me to become apart of this forum.

tektic

Welcome

The vr4 Is a good platform and will serve you well in the winters. However it is a lot more complicated to fix than a Miata. With that said you are looking in a good direction when you picked out a low mileage stock car, even if it is clear across the country. Modified cars can be reliable too if they are put together properly. As long as the maintenance hasn't been neglected and there isn't an over abundant presence of zip ties and wood screws in the engine bay you will probably be ok. Good compression or leak down test numbers should be a must though also. I have owned a few Gsx's and they're good cars too. They share the same drive train, bodies are a little more ridged, and obviously lack a pair of doors. Most turbo awd galants in america are vr4's wich wer 91 and 92. just cosmetic differences there. The older imported cars have some differences. Intake manifold, bumpers, no power seat belts, cloth interior. You can find a full list somewhere but for the most part its the same car.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Roger710

Thanks for the response tektic. As far as complexity goes I figured the gvr4 would be more difficult. I'm just wondering if it will be beyond my capacity to fix if something went wrong. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and with a good set of instructions I can finish most tasks.

What area would be most complex on the gvr4? Suspension work on the Miata has always came easy to me. I also did the clutch and flywheel with a buddy. I know that's not a whole lot but you gotta start somewhere right?

I also hope I can make this dream become a reality. For the longest time I though I wanted a 2000 Subaru impreza r.s. 2.5 but the idea of working with the flat four engine hasn't got me too excited. I also hear Subaru are maintanance queens. Not to mention for about the same price I can't find a gsx or hopefully a clean gvr4.

P.s. what would good compression numbers look like? What would be considered too low?

tektic

You are talking about two similar cars built 10 years apart. I DD a 95 legacy wagon and beat the ever living sh*t out of it. Its a first revision 2.2l with a manual and I have done quite a few repairs. Nothing out of the ordinary for a 20 year old car with 140k though. Tie rods wheel bearings timing belt water pump tps sensor. I got the thing for $1200 so for that and the amount of high speed drifting I do in it... It owes me nothing. 2.5 flat 4s blow head gaskets always. Suppose to be ok after you do it once but I have seen bearings start knocking soon after repair too. I wouldn't buy anything with the 2.5. That's just me though.

There's a lot of only Mitsubishi things you need to know about the drivetrain, but for the most part its just a car. If you can do a miata clutch I'm sure you can figure out a galant clutch job. The resources are here, as long as your willing to do the leg work.

As for the most complex... IDK getting every thing in order and working well together after moding stoking all the leaks fixing all the quirks... There are a lot of issues to corect. Then tune it. Lol its complex.

Fish

Typically if you at 150 psi compression you should be good to go. Another thing to look at is the timing belt. Make sure it's not overdue and/or covered in oil.

When are you planning on moving to twin? It might be nice to have another gvr4 guy close by

ApexHunter

Hello and welcome!

Celica All-Trac is a very cool car, but I don't recall them being all that great to work on, both from a maintenance or tuning standpoint.

Miata is simple as wood; the GVR4 not so much, but still compared to late model stuff pretty basic. I had both a GVR4 and an NA8 for a while. Great combo in that they are very different but very fun in their own ways and sort of compliment each other in a variety of ways.

GVR4 has better build quality than 1G GSX.

GVR4 can be very reliable. The thing is, 95% of those you find will need varying degrees of maintenance to get there. Don't cheap out. Buy the most stock, best overall condition car you can find as a base.

Last edited:

Roger710

Tektic your absolutely right, sorry about that mistake. Glad to hear they can indeed take a beating and be reliable. 1200 sure is a good deal it sounds like though.now that mention the head gasket problem I have also heard this in passing. I hadn't heard about the bearings knocking happening even once though.

In my defense I don't know many subi guys either though lol. Thanks for the reassurance, kind words, and taking the time to share your experiences and knowledge.

Last edited:

Roger710

Fish, Sounds sweet! Thanks for the heads up and quick reply. Sooner rather than later I hope! Honestly I'm just waiting for some things to solidify down here in CA. As soon as that happens and I can figure out where we will be staying for sure then it will be a green light. Pretty much we are hoping the end of this year or beginning of next.

How far is Idaho falls from twin? I actually used to live in twin for a few years but never really went anywhere except some towns on the way to Boise. One of my cousins used to live in Idaho falls for a bit though.

Last edited:

Roger710

Thank you very much apex hunter! That's a bummer to hear, for some reason I kinda got that feeling about the celica. It doesn't help that I can't really find a good one either though. Perhaps it's fate shoving me in the direction of a vr4 :') lol. I have had a pretty easy time with the Miata and it does seem most jobs on that car are straight forward.

I figured the gvr4 would be more complicated and involved. I'm just hoping it's not beyond me. I don't plan on building a super crazy car though. Mostly just want to maintain, get it to run reliably and handle very well. Once all that is taken care of I could maybe see myself adding a bit more hp.

Not so fond of the 1g eclipse :/ they are starting to grow on me though. If I had to go 1g it would definitely be a later model like a 94. I'd prefir a 2g myself if I can't find a gvr4 that meets my standards. I hear you on buying something that doesn't need work from the start though. You wise words have not fallen on deaf ears either.

I had to find this out the hard way but it is a lesson that has changed the way I buy all sorts of things forever more. Damn Honda scene.. Lol. It's wasn't all bad though, I did learn from the lesson so that's always a good thing, Lol.

Fish

Last time I drove to twin it took about two hours. I actually went there to buy some parts from another member on here.

Hopefully you don't have a ton of stuff to move if you end up moving in the winter. Nothing worse than moving all your stuff in -20° weather in the snow and ice.

If you're ever over this way let me know

Last edited:

Roger710

Fish. Dang, that's a little drive. Any good canyon roads you know of? Not too much stuff between the two of us. Hardly any furniture or anything, probably one uhaul truck for one trip would cut it. I also agree though I hope the weather doesn't make life unbearable when we move. If I'm ever in Idaho falls I will definitely drop a line!

Fish

Between idaho falls and twin is one of the most boring drives you can possibly imagine. Unless you are into the sagebrush kind of thing.

I might have to stop by on a trip to Boise to see your future gvr4. Keep in touch.

Roger710

Fish, hahaha yeah I hear that. I prefir a view to my drives, but if the corners are plenty I'll be happy. That would be cool bro, just gotta find the right one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting tektic:
150 for stock internals most aftermarket stuff should be higher.

Aftermarket cams and timing events will yield lower compression values for stock turbo low compression pistons (7.8:1) when performing a compression check using only the starter with the throttle blade wide open.

If higher compression pistons are installed, then yes, it will bump up things proportionately.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts