The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to get into the 12's?

deez

That is true, torque has a completely different feel when the car is pulling hard. Also, my car has no known issues or problems for those asking. No boost leaks, timing is set as advanced as I could get it before I got knock. The only weak link is the clutch, which is next to change along with an ACT flywheel. I just gotta figure out what clutch will hold w/o having the feel of a 2600lb pressure plate.

1gnasty

set your base time at 5*btdc, let the ecu do the rest just make sure that the afr are at about 11.0 to 11.3, get a w/b if you dont have one is the best tool to have when you are tuning

4orced4door

This guy has been told to do all these things from the first time he posted this problem on the board. You are all wasting your time. Go sell your POS and buy a Porsche. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rolleyes.gif

1gnasty

no fortunately i don't have to sell my car to buy the Porsche anymore /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/idea.gif

Last edited:

I spotted three big holes in your setup that are keeping you from running 12's, IMHO:
1) Antioch, CALIFORNIA! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/crazy.gif So, for starters you have the crappiest gas in the US.
2) "Built 9:1 compression motor". This does not go well with #1 above! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif With 91 octane you want to keep the stock 7.8:1 compression if at all possible, unless you plan on running additives or racegas.
3) "small TD05H-16G turbo". I used to have a small 16g. Back in the 90's, people said it was "all the turbo you will need". /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rolleyes.gif But, even the best, ported 16g is very limited in boost capability, especially when you couple it with an engine that is already prone to knock issues and is running on such poor quality gasoline. The DSMLink doesn't help, because it has stock 1G maps which top out at 15psi, which are way too aggressive for your setup.
The EVO3 16G is quite a bit better, with good efficiency up to ~24-25psi, but I still wouldn't put it on your combination. You are right, in YOUR case you should buy a big honkin' turbo, one that's not going to be super-heating the air at 25 psi.
But, with 91 octane its a point of diminishing returns. You should really consider a meth injection setup or some other way to increase the octane, so you can safely raise the boost to the 24-25psi range.

1gnasty

^^^^^ /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

CutlassJim

Quote:

The EVO3 16G is quite a bit better, with good efficiency up to ~24-25psi, but I still wouldn't put it on your combination. You are right, in YOUR case you should buy a big honkin' turbo, one that's not going to be super-heating the air at 25 psi.
But, with 91 octane its a point of diminishing returns. You should really consider a meth injection setup or some other way to increase the octane, so you can safely raise the boost to the 24-25psi range.

I think the EIII is limited to more around 22 psi before the returns get too diminished.

And if you want to be a pump gas king the bigger the hotside the better. With a lower pressure ratio between intake/exhaust you can experience HUGE gains in power. That's why all the guys with big boy turbo's get to run 24 psi daily on 93 gas. You just gotta live with the lag.

CutlassJim

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

I love stock suspension'ed cars!

uncleben4rice

Thanks Keydiver... that explains it. we tried to tune it over and over the car does not respond. good thing is I have 0 knock. None of the guys I hang with have race built motors. ITS ALL STARTING TO MAKE SENSE. when I bought the motor from the builder he asked what turbo I was going to use, when I said sm16g he kida chuckled and smiled, I should have gotten more info then..the car has run 14.0et at 101 with a 1.7 60ft leaving at 5000rpm... in order for me to get the power out of it im going to have to get a bigger turbo and or use racing gas...yea my 60ft are 1.7 and I have a 9.sec nova so it aint the driver. the car needs more work. and I will say it again...I did toooo much toooo fast. I should have started with the turbo. I did not start this diss-sesssion to make any one person angry. I was only trying to say start with the turbo, base your combination around that, cams, higher compression and all wont make your car faster from my exprience. bigger turbo may be your best bet and a good place to start if you plan on going all the way like I did. by the way my car is a daily driver 100 miles a day. I know a guy who has the same set up + the intake and his car runs 11.0s with the FPGT35 and he said the same thing as Keydiver. now for all of you cyber-experts who only had nasty things to say. yall KNOW I got the goods in this car so PLEASE STOP HATIN I am not a quitter...it will go faster than most of your cars one day.....

Dump race gas in and a 9.0 to 1 setup with a small 16g at 20 psi would be VERY quick. Are you sure you have no knock? 1.7 60 is great but it sounds like the car is falling on its face. Boost leaks?? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

91vr4

Falling on its face? His trap is good enough for low 13s.. It seems as if his car doesnt have much low end torque.. If I saw an 1/8 e/t and mph, I could probably tell you whats slowing you down (besides the stuff listed above).. Slow shifting maybe? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Quote:
now for all of you cyber-experts who only had nasty things to say. yall KNOW I got the goods in this car so PLEASE STOP HATIN I am not a quitter...it will go faster than most of your cars one day.....

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif
for some reason I couldnt stop laughing after reading that

uncleben4rice

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

Brianawd

I smell rice

deez

Did we lose direction on this post?

Your 60' is where it should be so it's really not the car. As mentioned, slow shifting, the things Keydiver mentioned & trust me on those heavy ass wheels. Weigh one of the wheels on the car & then go weigh the stock wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quote:
we tried to tune it over and over the car does not respond.

How much boost are you running? Is the boost dropping off at high rpm's? Were your runs on 91 octane?
As someone else said, if you'd dump in some racegas, turn up the boost, lean it out another 10-15%, and add some timing, it would probably be a whole 'nother car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned