The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to get into the 12's?

JNR

Yeah, you can't just throw money at a car and expect it to work...There is some merit in what you're saying, but the entire 'package', including the tune and driver need to be well-balanced to gain the most performance...I've said this before, but the key is in the details and it's amazing the extra performance (and drivability, car's presence, etc.) that can be gained from the small things.

Barnes

Seriously though. You appear to have all the proper mods. Sure the turbo isn't that big, but you can get a lot more out of it. Buying a new turbo will probably make you go faster, but what is the point if you don't learn to tune it properly.

You don't needa dyno, you don't need to pay people $100/hour to tune. Logger + wideband + buddy to hold the laptop = everything you need.

Do yourself a favor and tune the car as best you can before you buy a bigger turbo. Yes, you'll probably buy a bigger turbo anyways, but you will thank yourself later when you know how to extract its full potential.

1gnasty

even if u buy a new bigger turbo and manny u still going to have to retune the car,
btw 1000 in tuning wtf that is alot some one playing u for a suka

deez

Steve, my butt dyno tells me mid 13's. Especially when I rode in that 12.7 second car, it put it in perspective.

mikus

+1, driver is a key variable. Give my Grandma a vette, I'll beat her 60ft on a Huffy.

I try not to think about times that much. I figure, it'll be a lot like sex with the hottest hooker in teh world. 12 seconds later I'd be asking myself if it was worth the money.

uncleben4rice

ANYBODY WANT TO BUY MY CAR OR TRADE ME A BUICK GRAND NATIONAL I GOT FRIENDS THAT CAN HELP ME WITH ONE OF THOOSE. I FIXED THE BOOST LEAKS...IS IT THE EXHAUST? I DONT KNOW. IS IT THE FUEL? I DONT KNOW. WHATS NEXT. BIG TURBO. I am not trying to offend. but if you dont know about these cars they will frustrate you.

1gnasty

learn how to drive and tune

tsiboy

^^^ if DarkDevilMMM was sincere i suggest you take him up on his offer. take the car to the nor cal meet they are having and have some of the board members take a look at it. we have some pretty knowledgable people here, i unfortunately am not one of them /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/bawling.gif

-alex

galant412

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude dont belive these guys.. your car will not run that number unless you do alot of tuning...I mean alot of tuning... your best bet is get a bigger turbo with the cams and then you can run the numbers you seek...I know im gonna get some slack about this post but im just keeping it real. I got everything on my car and it does not even run 13s and all THEY say is... you gotta tune more. well guess what I tuned more and its still slow..but it dont knock... I talked to some guys that run the 11s with the goodies, what they all tell me is, get the big turbo and go fast...HMMMM
Im getting a big turbo next year and then wacth my car go to damn fast....I will put it to you like this ..I have chevys that are fast. 10sec street stuff..I used to fart around with small blocks with no stroke...and wonder why they were slow cause the other guy had a 350 and his was way faster. well that guy either had a proven combination out the gate, or he spent alot of money on the dyno tune. then I started stroking my small blocks and what a diffrence. Now im fast for less money because I did not waste time on trial and error...Im not saying the guys on the board are lying, im just saying how much tuning are you willing to do to get results you want. they want $150 Dollars an hour to dyno tune where I live.

built motor 9 to 1
272s
sm 16g
dsmlink
tre tranny
750cc inject
4bolt rear
zietronics wideband
too much to list
/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif Thats funny just work on your your launches and do sum good tuning and it will go there just fine.

Last edited:

DarkDevilMMM

the meet is next weekend, we'll get both of your car tuned don't worry /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

from my experience, I am always on the safe side a bit, although I have better equipments then some of the ppl, but I am sure I can't run 13s also. I always detuned the car a bit so I know I won't f it up by doing something stupid and spend another 3k just to fix it. so at least for me, I know I can push more, but I just didn't want to, and of course, I am sure I need way more practice to be good. also I am sure you don't need 1k to get your car tuned, there are a lot of ppl around who KNOW what they are doing, just ask nicely /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif I would say, get all the kinks out(if any), and get basic tuned. go to dyno, check numbers, back for another more aggressive tune, then back to dyno. then you should kinda see the pattern on how your car react to certain tunes, tune accordingly, then the third time you should get you close to a very good tune.

oh and also, butt dyno won't work at all. you really can't tell a 12.7s car and a 13s. each car is different and feels different, just by sitting in it won't tell you anything. I have sat in cars that I feel pulls very hard and my back stick to the seat like I am taking off on a space shuttle. but when I am back in my car running with them, I thought I didn't even try, but I totally walked on them... so unless comparing realtime numbers or running side by side, you can't really tell much. just my $.02

1gnasty

Quote:
I should have listened to myself and got a Porsche?

yep chicks dig porsches

Brianawd

Quote:
uncleben4rice

Man if I spent the amount of $ you spent on your car and I still could not run 12s I would shoot my self. I really think you need to step away from cars.

DarkDevilMMM

oh btw, I am in no means or close to be a good tuner, so don't look at me /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/tongue.gif I just live and learn, live and learn, meng. I think there are so many ways to skin a cat, and there's always a better way out there, you just have to research, think, and learn. I always like to try new things, and learn new things, especially on cars, but for me, funds would not allow me to. right now, I don't even have enough mulla for me to rebuild the engine and tranny for me to play and learn about it. that's why u won't see my gvr4 at the meet. but I think for anyone who have the right equipments already, make good use of it and learn more about it before going out and buy more and more thing without really understanding what the real problems are. anwyays, I talked too much.

91vr4

For $1000, Im sure a few tuners will fly out there and tune it themselves..

Ive made a laundry list of stuff to get into the 10s for $7000 and that includes buying the car.. You could have a damn FP T67 in your setup, but if its not tuned correctly you're going to be slower than a 16g galant..

deez

BTW, I will be working the day of the meet, sorry I can't see you guys again. Also, my butt dyno is pretty good /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

Ralli380Gvr4

These guys know what they are talking about. Try re-setting base timing, re-setting the biss(idle)screw, clean the TB/FIAV and clear all boost leaks, that should be a good start. This did a world of change for my car's performance, no more detonating/knock and I didn't have to do much tunning after that. After that try re-setting AFC w/ a logger, then practice launching and 60 ft. times would be next. If this does nothing for you...then you're car is jacked fool /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/uhh.gif. You might as well fish out the current problems and if you don't have enough power after that point, then think about a new turbo. It would be pointless to buy a new turbo on a crap running car, plus you will probably have more/the same problems to deal w/ when you put a new bigger turbo on.

91vr4

I know why you think his car is faster/quicker.. Torque.. It makes everything seem faster/quicker than it actually may be..

Plus, everyone in here knows that TEH ALMIGHTY ELLE ES JUAN CAN NEVAR LOOOSE!!!! Just an fyi.. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned