The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front Evo shocks coming loose.

SleepinGVR4

Anyone have issues with their Evo shocks staying tight at the knuckle? Yes I'm using shims and I haven't done anything different from anyone else that has done the conversion.

prove_it

I drilled mine out and used the EVO factory bolts. I haven't had much of a problem, but I was suspecting some issue with camber and was thinking they are moving. I noticed on the alignment rack it's set to -1* camber, yet the outside of the tires are wearing much faster.

Blew the trans before I could investigate though.

SleepinGVR4

I drilled mine out but I used some grade 8.8 bolts that have course threads. I'm using lock washers on both sides but my driver side is coming loose. Do the Evo bolts have fine or course threads?

tektic

If the say 8.8 thy are only slightly above SAE 5. Stock Galant bolt in this position was grade 10. Get stronger bolts!

I don't have an evo but based on the way Mitsubishi threads things I would assume m14x1.25

Last edited:

prove_it

You need hardened washers and lock rings too. Otherwise they mushroom out on the holes and allow the bolts to loosen up.

SleepinGVR4

What are you calling lock rings?

I don't know if the washers are hardened. I also used nylon sleeved lock nuts. Maybe I just just order a set of evo bolts.

I need to check what size drill bit I used to drill out the hubs, I can't remember off the top of my head.

GSTwithPSI

Grade 11? Where did you get that?

Typically, fasteners with the highest tensile strength would be grade 8 for SAE and 10.9 for ISO. Never heard of a grade 11 fastener before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

tektic

stock turbo to manifold bolts are grade 11 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
They are camber bolts mine are 12mm. got them at the part store. They may say 10.9 on them, But I'm pretty sure they said 11. Anyway its a bolt engineered to do the task were talking about here and I'm confident it will work as a solution for your problem.

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Grade 11? Where did you get that?

Typically, fasteners with the highest tensile strength would be grade 8 for SAE and 10.9 for ISO. Never heard of a grade 11 fastener before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The flywheel bolts are grade 11. I don't know about any of the others.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned