The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Has anyone messed with the Instrument cluster

prove_it

I'm just wondering if anyone has modified their instrument cluster by any means. pics are good. I ordered up some led's to replace the standard bulbs for a better backlight, I'm curious if anyone has done anything else?

TylerAdamson

I don't have pictures available at the moment but on my 1g I installed my boost, oil pressure, and water temp gauges into the stock cluster. It took quite a bit of time to get them to fit right but the finished product was nice and a great alternative to the pillar/vent gauge pods.

prove_it

that always does look good.

FCR

I make my own cluster with DEFI gauges oil p,oil t, boost, rev, ext tem

prove_it

that looks good, real good.

RedTwo

Anyone thought of putting a A/F bar graph guage into the vertical section where the A/T selection lights usually go? Or a knock gauge in the factory 'turbo pressure' (which is kinda useless once you go past 8psi...) gauge position?

RedTwo

But that needs a Mitsubishi ECU and that chip. I'm talking about whacking a Knock Link in there or wiring one up to the bar graph.

14u2nV

the chip upgrade turns the factory boost gauge into a knock gauge. Look at my pic and you can see it says knock instead of boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mean_green

I have my boost gauge mounted right under the high beam light indicator, theres an old how to write up on it. I'll see if I can find a pic of mine.

-Alan

mitsuturbo

Quoting FCR:
I make my own cluster with DEFI gauges oil p,oil t, boost, rev, ext tem

Whoa.. that's hot! I've been thinking of doing pretty much the same thing. What about the speed sensor input to the ECU though? Is that gone now? It's kind of nice to have with DSMlink. It looks like all the indicator lights are gone as well. Right?

prove_it

I saw the gauge install in the cluster and it did inspire me. Thanks to you now I'll be hacking up a hard to get cluster...ha ha

Last edited:

teamhightower

I did the gauge in the middle mod, but used a PLX multi use display. This way I have four different gauges available as well as idiot light protection. You can read more about that on the PLX site. Here is a VFAQ on how to do the in-dash mods for the center gauge.

Center Gauge VFAQ

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned