The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

for those of you with front plate laws, where is your plate?

EfiniX

I've got mine mounted on a hinge in front of the intercooler. It used to be mounted (really) in the middle of the windshield at the top behind the rearview mirror, but I got a ticket. Went to court and got bit by stare decisis. Thanks to the people v. Nguyen, "front" means bumper.

I'm not thrilled with the look, but there doesn't seem to be another place for it to go where it is visable and doesn't block a fog lamp.

Stock bumper.

Last edited:

maroonmetallic

WI has a front plate law. For me, my OEM front plate bracket sits in the garage & my front plate sits in the house. I hope they cut me some slack as it has collectors plates now.

-Shawn

slugsgomoo

I take mine off sometimes, but the hassle of getting stopped without it isn't worth it. I drilled holes in the plate and used stock mounting points on the jdm bumper.

In 2022 when the car turns 30 and I can get collector plates, I'll no longer experience the oppression of front plates wooo

MellowVR4

Mine is on my car now, But I usually take it off around town, on long trips I put it on just I don't get messed with... Hopefully I don't get pulled over anymore for my exhaust because I have hobbyist plates! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Struc

Drove around WI for 15 years in my Spyder without a front plate, and neither of my GVR4's had a front plate while I owned them either. Never once did I get hassled about it, even if I got pulled over for something else.

Then again, WI got |this| close to passing legislation to go to a back plate only state, so maybe the cops around me felt the same way I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jeverts

I like how all the Wisco boys chimed in on this. I swear to you the police there have nothing better to do and when they get bored watching tractors go by they get all giddy when they see a import and immediately pull you over. Yet these harley riders with the open pipes don't get a word said to them and yet you can hear them a mile away. /Rant

MellowVR4

AMEN!!^ I live in Milwaukee tho... so not really country around here.. but same scenario tho.

EfiniX

They kept Nelson and Cobb, so I think we can give them a pass.

turbohf

WA state requires a front plate. mine is in the same place it has been for all my other cars, a tote in my garage. lol. got a hole stack of old plates and front plates for all 3 of my current cars. I have been harassed, but generally I'm just rolling legit and they just run my info and send me on the way.

I have only had issues with snohomish county sheriffs. I'll just leave it at that.

jeverts

Quoting MellowVR4:
AMEN!!^ I live in Milwaukee tho... so not really country around here.. but same scenario tho.

I use to live in Hartford and the town cops didn't care to much about the cars. They were only concerned about drunk drivers. I was pulled over in my old GST near madison on I-94 for no front plate and my exhaust was to loud and I had to ask the cop to repeat himself multiple times because of bikes and semis driving by and I couldn't hear him. I said well what about the semis and bikers driving by. He told me "They are on different laws then cars." I pretty much told him that was a lie. He gave me a warning and told me to get my car fixed and I was on my way.

slugsgomoo

Quoting turbohf:
WA state requires a front plate. mine is in the same place it has been for all my other cars, a tote in my garage. lol. got a hole stack of old plates and front plates for all 3 of my current cars. I have been harassed, but generally I'm just rolling legit and they just run my info and send me on the way.

I have only had issues with snohomish county sheriffs. I'll just leave it at that.

If you're in non rural king or snohomish county, and parts of pierce you won't have an issue. Rural King, anywhere in Kitsap or Jefferson though? You're going to get stopped sooner rather than later. Cops have nothing to do and they seem to do nothing more than get more unmarked cars so they can drive up the tax collection. On the eastside & seattle, between the actual speed traps and real crimes, they don't have the time for petty sh*t like that.

mitsuturbo

I hate running a front plate. However, i've been eyeballed pretty hard by the local authorities even with it mounted. I've seen at least 2 cops staring right at it as i drove past. As slugs pointed out... East Snohomish county cops don't have a ton of sh*t to do but write citations. I don't like running a front plate, but even more than that, i do not like being stopped for something so easily avoided for nothing more than vanity.

I was stopped near Satsop on my way to Aberdeen once simply for not having a front plate on the Geo Metro i was driving. Cop was itching to write a ticket.. until he realized the car still had out of state plates. Said he'd let me off with a warning "since you're not from around here".

prove_it

Mines on the front, to the left and a little lower. I hate it covering the intercooler.

turbohf

I was asked once by a cop why I didn't have one. I looked him in the eye and said it blocks my intercooler. he rolled his eyes and walked back to his car. told me next time he would write a ticket. was years ago and he hasn't stopped me since. and I drive by that police station every day. probably being profiled, I was in an Integra Type-R /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

vanity comment reminded me. I was pulled over another time and asked if my vanity was worth $124 no plate ticket... I continued my commute to work in my 1 of 320 made 1997 Integra Type-R. parked next to my buddies Escalade EXT on chrome 20's or whatever...etc. you get the idea. we as people are vain, especially Americas...

I got pulled over too much in that car. lol. harassment.

MellowVR4

That's because people are always stealing them type r's and Honda's... people that drive Hondas around here get harassed all the time!

badams

I don't have a front plate on my VR4 or my TSX and haven't had any issues. The only time it was ever brought up was from some State Patrol cop that pulled me over. I asked him what I was doing wrong? He said two things, both ticketable (sp) offences.... Driving in the fast lane (this was on interstate 70) and no front license plate... He also said the my license plate cover on the back was illegal because it covered up the bird on the plate and part of the expiration month.

diambo4life

We don't need front plates here. They actually give you only one at the DMV. Not having motor vehicle inspections is awesome too. Few great things about Oklahoma...especially for car enthusiasts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

When your car gets sucked up in a tornado, tell us again how great oklahoma is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Mn92gvr4

I just throw my plate on the dash haven't had an issue. I did get pulled over for loud exhaust once and I asked the cop why he wasn't citing motorcycles. bastard looked me straight in the eye and told me that's how they come from the factory!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned