The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Figuring out Production number?

Furbasher

Hello all,

I've done quite a bit of searching with no results. I'm looking for a way to figure out production number on my car. The badge on the dash isn't there nor does it look like one ever was. I checked the body vin tag and it reads E39 as well as the title that says gvr4. I'm relativity certain the car isn't a fake.

I've tried to find previous owners via facebook and title history with no luck. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

LIV4PSI

Not all of them were given badge numbers. Your best bet is to send Iceman the VIN and see if its in the registery. Also, the badge number isn't a production number, there is no correlation

Furbasher

I realize the badge number doesn't matter. I had a bug in my head asking what if its a fake!

James

Doesn't it still come up galant vr4 if you run the vin?

curtis

Rumor has it the badges were all put on at the docks when they came over here. So number one or one thousand in 92 was really 475....Oh wait thats my work bench and probably the antichrist 666 JSB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

If you really want to know iceman dave probably has it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I can verify from the VIN if it is a legitimate VR4. Can also check if the VIN/badge combo was ever registered.

Mine doesn't have a badge number. So I check the vim with iceman and its one of the first 8 to come over as a demo.

Drew84

Also for example, my car is numbered but when I super screen it with Mitsu it shows up as a GSX.

LIV4PSI

^^^Sounds like you have a GGSX that someone but a VR4 badge on to me

Edit: just saw it said turbo though, weird

Last edited:

James

Someone send him their vin of a known real VR4 and let him run it.

That's weird

G

Staff member
If it says e39a on the firewall plate then it's real.

fuel

^^ for the US market yes, but for us international people E39A doesn't necessarily mean VR-4 much the same way as E38A doesn't necessarily mean non-turbo GSX either.

E39A is 2.0L 4WD with 4WS which includes not only VR-4 but also the MX-4, VX-4 and ZX-4 which are non-turbo but still 4WD/4WS.
E38A is 2.0L 4WD without 4WS so can be GGSX or the VR-4 RS.
E37A is 1.8L 4WD without 4WS and is probably the most rarest 4WD Galant out there.

Just some more useless Galant info for you!

Last edited:

Drew84

Well also the Super Screen shows E39a at the beginning of the model code. I think the GSX is just a semantics thing lost in translation.

James

It does cause a lot of confusion. I know when I go to advance/autozone/napa I always have a hard time when I say galant GSX. They pretty much tell me it doesn't exist with a DOHC motor.

I ordered my steering rack for a galant GSX. I don't know what I got but I had to modify it to make it work

raptorWagon

Probably not a Galant then, because it should be the same part for all 6th gens except US VR4 models.

fuel

Quoting James:
It does cause a lot of confusion. I know when I go to advance/autozone/napa I always have a hard time when I say galant GSX. They pretty much tell me it doesn't exist with a DOHC motor.

I ordered my steering rack for a galant GSX. I don't know what I got but I had to modify it to make it work

They would have given you a rack from an E33A GGSR which has a solenoid attached to vary the rate of power assistance. This wasn't available for any 4WD models.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned