The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fiberglass?

race_me89

I am interested in find out about fiberglass body parts such as doors, trunk lid and hood. I feel there is a lot of weight to be saved in these few parts. Now how would someone go about finding or getting these done?

JNR

Well, the doors would need some good bracing for safety reasons (unless this is a race car with full on cage already), so you're not saving much as the steel is pretty thin to begin with. The windows and all that hardware though may add up a little, but unless you're going with plexiglass fixed setup (again full on race car), you won't save anything there really, either, unless you go and replace things with aluminum, composites and so on, but damn $$.

I thought somebody made a FG hood already, but you would have to search the internet and same thing with the trunklid...the trunk on these is pretty light already (again thin metal, etc.) but you could save a decent amount on the hood, as they are pretty heavy for their size. However, there is a HUGE quality range on aftermarket fiberglass and luckily we don't have springs or anything that you need to replace and would be easy enough to 86 the latch assy. and replace with hoodpins. they typically don't recommend using locking style as your only means, but people do it...People are assholes and will pull your pins if you use those type...they did that to me and I lost my hood driving, ugh. I picked it up and redid it, but damn that sucked.

RedTwo

Everything would need to be custom or one offs as the market isn't really there.
The (JDM) doors weigh ~34kg each off the top of my head. Polycarbonate is about 1/3 the density of glass, off the top of my head.
Even if you only cut it down to 50% of the weight you'll save ~70kg with a full set of doors.
IIRC a (JDM) bonnet is ~18kg and a vented one, surprisingly, weighs more.

Pulling out the interior is easier and will net roughly the same total.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

On a related note, will gutted doors pass tech with no roll cage? I have a spare set that I can't seem to sell, so I figure I might as well gut them and make the windows fixed, you know...because racecar.

mitsuturbo

Quoting RedTwo:
Everything would need to be custom or one offs as the market isn't really there.
The (JDM) doors weigh ~34kg each off the top of my head. Polycarbonate is about 1/3 the density of glass, off the top of my head.
Even if you only cut it down to 50% of the weight you'll save ~70kg with a full set of doors.
IIRC a (JDM) bonnet is ~18kg and a vented one, surprisingly, weighs more.

Pulling out the interior is easier and will net roughly the same total.

I've yet to see any "import aftermarket carbon fibre" parts that are fully legit CF pieces, with the exception of "magazine cars" like the HKS CF bodied Evo VIII some years ago. Keep in mind the "carbon fiber" parts available are nothing more than fiberglass, covered in "cf weave" to lend to the ricer cosmetic aspect. Basically, CF hoods and deck lids ARE generally fiberglass.

IMO it's bullshit they put the CF weave over such parts anyhow. It still looks like ass and needs to be painted.

JNR

Maybe that's true for cheap imports, but if you have the $$$, they do make 100% full carbon fiber hoods and trunks lids...A place was offering that for the chevelle and damn are they nice (and tempting), but the price is crazy, as can be imagined. For the more budget-orientated, they do offer a 'glass/CF hood.trunk lid and so on...

Difference I've found between typical import stuff that is usually always so-so, and true muscle cars, or newer performance domestic "V8" stuff is the fiberglass parts offered on those cars and the like are top quality, fit right and look good plus *reasonable* priced. Then again, those cars are actually worth something, so maybe people are more willing to spend more $ to do it right. I mean, who in their right mind spends more money on a hood, lid and wheels than the car is worth, lol.

However, it still varies even on those...there are some crap stuff, on par with what's offered for our cars (sadly; have yet to see something of top quality /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) and then there is stuff that would blow your mind on the quality and wow-ness factor. I bought a 'glass hood for the 'velle years ago and was sort of disappointed in the one I bought, although it's super light and I did fix a lot of the crappiness of it (mostly the underside being unfinished). But, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I just can't believe cars like the celica, civic, and scion etc etc get soo many CF parts, I wish they would give the E39A galant guys a chance, I bet if they were top notch and had great fitment and durability they would make some money on all of us.

LIV4PSI

What would you want to buy? There is already hoods and trunk lids. Fenders would be pointless, and doors would cost $$$Texas.

The numbers just aren't there. We can assume there is less than 1,000 road worthy GVR4s left. I'm sure less than 10% are the level of your car, Mike, and ready for nice CF panels. Hell, I think mine is in the nicer 50% of the ones left, and it still needs a ton of money of mechanical stuff before I can make it look pretty.

Last edited:

JNR

True, we just don't have the #'s and within the remaining ones that are still in good condition, most of those people wouldn't be willing to spend the $$$...Also, CF parts are an inside joke here as a scam, since the 'group buys' and give me all the $ first before I give you a real product was pretty bad and anybody who's been here for some time is probably weary of that. I cannot imagine F/G being any better with these vendors we seem to get and would think ebay china quality, if that.

I personally would like PAINTED CF on #20, but I have yet to see anything worthy of me replacing my stuff with subpar stuff on this nice example.

GSX_TC

I know people would like top notch parts like CF versions of both the USDM and JDM hood, trunk, roof, and some sort of rear diffuser that actually functions.

If people would just stop parting these cars out and selling them all the time there would be more of these cars left. And thanks for the nice comments. I hope you keep yours too man.

JNR

These cars are certainly underappreciated for sure and agree it's a shame more of them aren't kept in good condition, or not hacked up, but it makes our nice ones worth that much more. Part of the problem (and I can't blame many of them) is people lack patience selling things and especially if it's more than $5k so they end up parting them out, which sucks. Other people just want them gone so they sell them real cheap and to top it all off, the buyers (least on this site) are pretty cheap bastards that don't appreciate one that is truly worth something. Then again, I've seen a few folks here that think there's is worth a whole lot, but they are smoking crack, lol.

I dread the day I sell this thing, but I've decided to forego even trying it here, as it'll be too much $ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mitsuturbo

Quoting GSX_TC:
I just can't believe cars like the celica, civic, and scion etc etc get soo many CF parts, I wish they would give the E39A galant guys a chance, I bet if they were top notch and had great fitment and durability they would make some money on all of us.

Every supposed "CF" piece i have seen for the aforementioned cars is basically fiberglass, covered with CF for "the look". Then, the ricers that buy the sh*t never paint it.

LIV4PSI

That is how most all of the CF hoods are for Subarus, fiberglass with a CF overlay. They actually weigh a few pounds more than the stock aluminum hoods.

Mike, you really think there is a market for a carbon fiber roof that would cost $1,500 when all said and done? Look at the WTB section for cars, that's about all people want to pay for a running GVR4. For $2,500 it has to be reliable, low miles or rebuilt engine, and with no rust or dents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I'm thinking about organizing a Group Buy on some Carbon Fiber pieces for our cars. Anybody interested? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Better off just putting a gaytarded CF overlay on your stock parts and then putting some layer of furniture grade lacquer over it. That's what most of the CF crap out there looks like (or worse) after it gets some sun and weather anyhow.

OP's request is legit, IMO. Unfortunately, it seems that because the droves of flatbrim wearing boy-ricers out there are more concerned with appearance than actually reducing weight (thus it makes sense to target these people as customers, from a financial standpoint), faux CF parts are going to be more prevalent, and even those aren't easy to come by for our cars, or inexpensive.

gvr4ever

I'd rather see aluminum hood, trunk, door skins. As already pointed out. How much would they cost compared to the cost of what the cars are going for...

EMX5636

I would second a formed aluminum hood/trunk/fenders. I think that would be nice. I have a carbon hood on my car because the stock one was getting more rust in the front corner everyday and I got a deal from one of the Danville boys. It doesn't fit perfect, but it's not bad, and it's definitely lighter than the stocker.

thecman02

The biggest want from me is a urethane mold of the AMG parts. If I could get some nice replica parts for a reasonable price I'd cream my pants.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned