The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1751/2000

fourforty

its not a lot of rust. I've dealt with a lot worse if you know how to do body work or know a good friend its not that bad. plus in Minnesota that little rust on a 23 year old car is a miracle. i regularly see cars with almost no rear quarter panels with half the age and mileage. anyway it runs and drives great. the only problem is shifting when the trans sits overnight in sub freezing temp. but for 2,400 its a solid beater that i can make last for a good 5 to 7 years if i don't want to fix the body imperfections. so in short i'm not sure why people are butt hurt over what i paid for it and i could not care less. i'm happy with my car and i will have lots of fun working on it because that's what i do.

G

Staff member
You need the correct fluid in the trans, that's the problem.

fourforty

thank you. i will look into replacing it. what do you recommend for trans and otherwise? i'm not too concerned right now because it takes about a minute or two to warm to the point of easy shifting. but hey if that is something that will save the trans i'm all for fixing it.

raptorWagon

Quoting fourforty:
its not a lot of rust. I've dealt with a lot worse if you know how to do body work or know a good friend its not that bad. plus in Minnesota that little rust on a 23 year old car is a miracle. i regularly see cars with almost no rear quarter panels with half the age and mileage. anyway it runs and drives great. the only problem is shifting when the trans sits overnight in sub freezing temp. but for 2,400 its a solid beater that i can make last for a good 5 to 7 years if i don't want to fix the body imperfections. so in short i'm not sure why people are butt hurt over what i paid for it and i could not care less. i'm happy with my car and i will have lots of fun working on it because that's what i do.

So how is the underbody?

acidrumz

I remember this car listed for sale a couple years back when I was still in mn.
Good luck with your dd and project.

fourforty

not too bad only rust is by the wheel wells. someone was doing consistent rustproof undercoatings. also i am curious about my serpentine belt is squealing on start up. the belt is in good condition i am guessing that it is moisture on the alternator by the ground. i was looking a relocation kits. i could only find one with the air con delete. i don't want to do that. or should i get a skid plate?

EHmotorsports

I would take all the plastics off to get a good look.

CutlassJim

I would tighten the belt. Maybe take it off and make sure the water pump and Alt spin freely if I was feeling sassy.

fourforty

UPDATE! I've been poking around the engine bay and other spots and i have discovered some weird things with this car but nothing i cant handle. i though i would share so you could get a kick out of it. first i was looking at replacing the EGR block off plate with a functional EGR. (MIL is lit on the dash and i want it gone) that is when i was tracing a tube sticking out of the inter cooler piping and traced it to the intake. and in the middle was what appears to be a fairly cheap (probably ebay bought)manual boost controller tucked in near the block. near the manifold the tube to the boost gauge is routed through the door in the most getto way possible. the last owner had no idea that the boost controller was on the car. and from what i can tell the last post here about 1751 was 2 owners before me. also the last guy sent it to a corner garage to get fixed. which brings up the next problem. non OEM coolant hoses. i managed to catch this before it became a problem but the shift linkage was rubbing into the hose. this is temporarily fixed with a zip tie until the new hose gets delivered. last i have a stock air filter and no air can to go over it. i am currently collecting parts and when it warms up a bit i will be going through everything and fixing or replacing stuff like the shift cables and fuel filter with a few other things. if i'm lucky i could even get the engine bay painted with the rest of the body.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned