The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo Suspension courtesy of TunersNation (update)

Bought some Evo suspension from TunersNation. Turned out real nice. They were all welded up and just needed the strut tops swapped and the springs trimmed. Most fun for the buck of any mod I've ever done on any car. Had to cut 1 1/4 coil from the front and 1 coil from the rear to get it to sit the way it is now.

Garfield did a great job getting them ready and shipping them out. It was a 70 lb box! Thanks Garfield!

Pics:

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

Man for 15's I love those factory GSX wheels.

Thanks guys. I'm real pleased with how it all turned out. Best part is the handling. The poor 195/60 tires really get a work out now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I plan on keeping them and the GSX wheels to keep the ride softer. I think 16s or 17s with a shorter sidewall would be a bit too stiff for a daily.

I'm jealous of 503. It has center caps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

turbowop

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Now you know what it would look like without the wheel gap.

I lowered it back down for summer. It looks almost identical to Utah's car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

turbowop

Quoting UtahGalant:
I'm jealous of 503. It has center caps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

At least you don't have a bunch of peeling clear coat on the doors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4thStroke

Where on the lower strut was the DSM mount welded? Was it stuffed up top (giving a lower ride height) or was it welded more towards the end of the fork on the Evo strut?

I'm swapping to Evo suspension soon. I have Robispec Evo springs springs and don't want to completely dump the car, but it definitely needs to be dropped.

raptorWagon

Quoting 4thStroke:

I'm swapping to Evo suspension soon. I have Robispec Evo springs and don't want to completely dump the car, but it definitely needs to be dropped.

Something like this?
I have the Evo suspension on mine as well, but doesn't sit as low as his.

Last edited by a moderator:

4thStroke

Are those OEM Evo springs, Reed? How much cutting? Where was the lower mount welded (up top or down low on the fork)?

raptorWagon

Answers,
OEM - Yes
Fronts - I believe just one coil on the fronts.
Rears - Not cut
Rear bushings - welded to the top of the fork.

I think the bushings on the rear shocks were pushed in as far as they could go then welded. Garfield would have to confirm.

At first I left the rears uncut which gave me 2.5" of gap back there. I soon got annoyed with having the front 1" lower so went ahead and cut 1 coil off the rears. Now they're about even with the rear sitting around .25" lower than the front with a full tank of gas.

ktmrider

Been thinking about the swap hard, thanks for the pics and feedback.
BTW you go with "standard" EVO bits or the MR Bilsteins?!?

cheekychimp

Any options other than cutting springs to get a balanced ride height? Cutting springs is an instant inspection FAIL over here. I am not worried if the car sits a little taller than stock but I just want it to be balanced if I go this route with suspension. Could I use stock front springs and get rear lowering springs?

Edit, had it the wrong way round!!!

Last edited:

Mike, I just used the regular Evo suspension.

Paul, I talked with Garfield about this and you can use Evo lowering springs if you can't cut the stockers. I think I'm going to go this route in the future. With how much I have cut off the front, the springs get real loose in their perches when I raise the front all the way off the ground. I don't plan on jumping the car any time soon, but I still would feel better if they were in there tight when the front is all the way up. Garfield said Evo lowering springs keep the springs tight when they're uncompressed and lower it without needing to cut them.

turbofonz

Quoting cheekychimp:
Any options other than cutting springs to get a balanced ride height? Cutting springs is an instant inspection FAIL over here. I am not worried if the car sits a little taller than stock but I just want it to be balanced if I go this route with suspension. Could I use stock front springs and get rear lowering springs?

Edit, had it the wrong way round!!!

Get Tein Stechs. I have them and they sits very proper on all 4 corners and look great. Any Evo lowering springs should work.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts