The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo rebuild

thecannoliman121

I have a tbc tdo5h 16g turbo. im looking to re build it because after doing a leak test on the hole system I came up with nothing. so im going to try and see if that is the problem. im only suspicious because I just rebuilt the engine after blowing it ujp and am not sure if I blew something in there. so my question is that while looking through all the kits, ive seen flat back and super back kits. is there a specific one I need to get or is it all about preference? if so, then what should I invest in?

tektic

A 16g is a super back turbo. A 14b is a flat.

What symptoms are you trying to rectify?

thecannoliman121

im only getting 5 pounds of boost. I pre loaded the waste gate and still got 5. then went a little more and still got 5. so that's where im at

BogusSVO

5lbs sounds like spring pressure.

What MBC do you have?

Also have you tested the WGA? You may have a bad diaphragm and that will not allow you to build boost.

thecannoliman121

I don't have a MBC. but no I hav not tested it. I had it off and made sure that the flapper was in the right position. at that time I wasn't aware that it wasn't building boost. ill go test it and let you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

Is this a genuine Mitsu turbo? Does it have a real MHI turbine housing? I've seen the ebay wastegate arms bind up and not close fully which results in low boost.

What kind of intercooler do you have? What are you using for the boost measurement. I have an autometer boost gauge that reads 4lbs off compared to my MAP sensor.

thecannoliman121

no. its hooked up. that line going from the waste gate to a tee was trashed. I went to test it and it held no pressure. I just fixed it, started it up and now it seems to be running a lot better. my wide band is reading 13-14 again. so im going to take her for a spin and let you know how it goes. you may have just saved me some cash by mentioning to test that. ill let you know how the drive goes and see if that was the problem.

thecannoliman121

alright. when I fixed the line the flapper completely opened at 20 lbs. I took her for a ride, and I gained 5 pounds. so now im running ten pounds and my bottom end is still really laggy. in first there is no boost. second there is a little. then third its a fricken rocket. so im thinking that I just have to replace all the tees and all those small lines. because they are all original. think that would solve my bottom end? and im running a stock intercooler. getting a new one for Christmas. the only aftermarket things that I have put into her are
-255 walbro pump
-2g maf off a gsx
-750cc injectors
-wide band 02
-boost gauge
-ecm link
-TDO5H 16g
-and a sweet TED sticker =P

BogusSVO

First, I personally would prefer a set hose to the WGA, and not a T'ed off one, same for the BOV.

This is the set up I commonly run.

Cheap Ebay MBC, modded to a ridged mount off the compressor cover, with as short of hose that can be used to the WGA.

Good that you are building some boost now. But stock boost pressure is about 14psi IIRC. so you still have some issues at play.

Another asked what boost gauge you are using to keep track of boost level. Stock or after market?

Next, when was the last time you performed a full BLT?

thecannoliman121

I just did a boost leak test this morning. im definitely replacing all the lines and moving around the tees and getting rid of as many as possible. I have two very small leaks one at the intake manifold and one with the other end of the intercooler piping. after I fix all of these leaks, do you think that my bottom end will pick up better or is that a underlying problem?

EfiniX

Fix the leaks, then you'll be able to answer your own question. I know you are dying to close all the loops and your mind is a sea of possible issues, but little leaks become huge problems under pressure. Fix those, then you can look at the rest.

prove_it

BOV should have it's own dedicated line running to it. Also I recommend running the WGA with it's own source too. The longer the lines the faster the boost ramp up.

OP, have you done a compression test yet? How solid is your engine?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned