The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine ReBuild

Quoting alansupra94:
You know there is a engine manual in PDF form downloadable correct?

Did not know that. Can you send me a link?

How effective are lightweight pulleys and adjustable cam gears? I've always thought they were more for engine dress-up than performance. I can see the benefits of lighter weight but are they worth the money?

How effective are lightweight pulleys and adjustable cam gears? I've always thought they were more for engine dress-up than performance. I can see the benefits of lighter weight but are they worth the money?

AnotherNewb

Adjustable cam gears are useless unless you have a set of aftermarket cams. Lightweight and underdrive pulleys are a mix bag of apples. Many will vote against a non oem crank pulley unless its a fluidamper or similar. Most aftermarket crank pulleys are not dampers like an oem one. The weight of the pulleys will make little to no difference in performance, ones that are underdriven may give a small increase in rev speed but you also have to remember that your driving you accessories slower than the factory intended. Most people that use them don't complain about them and most people that complain about them have never used a set. Is it worth the money? Not really. Its money better spent in other places for more considerable gains.

UPDATE: While I was disconnecting the t-case I noticed a lot more oil dripping than other areas. Upon closer inspection I found several hair line fractures on the t-case (just like my tranny before it was rebuilt) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif So now I need to hunt down a t-case in a salvage yard for an awd turbo 4g63. What other mitsubishi's would be compatable for the Galant? I figure 1st gen dsm's will work but is cracking a problem on the older t-cases? If so I want to look for one that is strong and reliable, not something that'll crack under mild stress. I wonder if this might be the cause for the crappy grinddy shifts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Been browsing around MAP.com for engine parts. What brands do you guys recommend on connecting rods, pistons, and bearings? Is there any difference in brand or is it more for the desired setup? Please help me out cause I'm on a $3k budget to get this thing back up and running again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned