The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Eagle Crankshafts

matt92vr4

Hi everyone, I'm looking for feedback on Eagle Crankshafts. I tried searching, but I think it brought up every thread from the beginning of time.

I'm thinking that I do not want to chance using an old crank. Eagles are a little cheaper than OEM. Are they better? Worse? Please share your experiences. thank you.

-Matt

ktmrider

As usual you get what you pay for, and as Eagle is generally the cheap(er) price....

Don't get me wrong, used numerous Eagle cranks and rods over the years in various makes ( my Subaru has Eagle rods as we speak ) however if you're at or aiming for 2x above stock power levels I'd consider something else. Or put another way stock or near stock power then Eagle products are fine.

matt92vr4

Thanks for the info. It's only a 16G car but it should see much more than stock power...close to double I think. I know OEM cranks are being used in 1000HP Talons, so I guess the Eagle crank is that much worse than OEM?

tektic

I have a 94mm. My builder said it was a very well made piece and did not take much to balance. I have less than 500 miles it so can't say much else.

Street Surgeon

Eh, Eagles have been proven to well over 600whp time and again. There are nicer rods / cranks out there for sure, but to say they're only good for around 2x the power our cars came with (~300/320whp) is ridiculous. Their cranks are definitely nice albeit cheap pieces, Kiggly ran one for quite a while in fact, however it has been mentioned that if you're using one of their cranks make sure your builder inspects it THOROUGHLY before installation. They're known to have issues with tolerances on the crank journals, runout, bellmouth, and other things I know nothing about (machine work) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif In short, if you want to use their crank, it's awesome, and cheap up front, but may need additional machining/money.

EMX5636

Cory hit the nail on the head. They are nice cranks, and you won't really ever break one under 7-800whp unless something crazy happens. Just be aware that they are not "drop-in" ready. They MUST>MUST be checked out by a machine shop before assembly. I had one with a bad machined thrust surface, and a couple of the oil galley plugs came loose. (they had a batch that were problematic) I know a lot of people running them with success, just be aware they might need to be cleaned up a bit before it's ready to run.

Also, a used OEM crank, as long as checked out by a competent machinist and given the go-ahead, isn't a "shortcut". Many people run polished stock cranks at all sorts of streetable power levels with no issues, me included. Just don't ever run a cut crank, and if the machinist suggests it with a 4G63, find a new machinist.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Cory re-read my post, never said they "can't handle" 2x stock power. Ridiculous indeed. You put much more eloquently than me ( tolerances most notably ) their QA can be poor.

I built a stroker LSx block and used Eagle products. Perfect example, when I went to clean the crank I pulled about 500 grams of metal shavings out of the oil galley holes. No way the slag got there after balancing, any guesses as to how well it was done?!? Took it to my machine shop guru, had to pay an extra $100 to re-balance.

My point about power was this: If you are spending money to build an engine for "lots" of HP you can find quote, "Nicer rods/cranks" for not too much more money than the Eagle products.

matt92vr4

Thanks for the responses everyone. I ended up buying one from Scott for a good price. I notice that it is much light than OEM. Something like 25lb compared to 40lb? What do you guys think about that?

One of the hurdles I face here is that I can't seem to find a machine shop that know how to do FI imports. I think they all just use 80 grit to deck heads etc.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Are you looking for a shop to do your engine or just the crank?

I seem to remember most of the good shops were 2-3 hours away, West Palm, Riviera Beach, Lake Worth area.

prove_it

Speaking of machinists, BogusSvo hasn't been around much lately. At least that I've noticed.

strokin4dr

^ yeah, I have sent him a couple PMs and called his shop. No go either way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1dvsdsm

Yo man just be careful, I know Mike Humel in back/ still in the dsm game and moved down to Florida. Most people remember how he stiffed a bunch of manufactures and customers out of money and parts under the name slowboy racing . I think he's going by built industries now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned