The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drive shaft carrier stud broke

Brianawd

Any one broke one before. I was looking under the ggsx and found that the rear carrier stud is broke. How the hell do you replace that.

PreskitVR4

i always wonderd what i would do if that happend to me. cant get to it. drill hole from top side? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Terry Posten

One of mine broke in the middle of the stud. There was enough threads left to still use it.

I GOT LUCKY.

But I have thought about it.

I would get someone with a welder to weld a plate to the bottom of the car (countured to the pan) that has new studs welded onto it.

May have to re-shim the other carrier to get the angles right but do-able.

PreskitVR4

...or grind it smooth, then weld a bolt on, it would change th clocking on the C/B but i dont see what that would affect

fivestardsm

Check this out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

click

Just FYI, I have done this several times while the motor was in the car also. It is a PITA, but if you do not fix it, your axle will come loose and wear into the oil pan causing a hole. Trust me on this!!!

Here is proof

If you look at the first and second picture, it shows a cobbled up fix. Granted, it held the axle in place, but the 3rd pic shows the mess from th oil seeping out the pan because of the hole. Also messy because of the awesome axle repair too!! They didn't catch it I guess.

Last edited:

Brianawd

Quote:
Just FYI, I have done this several times while the motor was in the car also. It is a PITA, but if you do not fix it, your axle will come loose and wear into the oil pan causing a hole. Trust me on this!!!

I'm talking about the rear carrier on the drive shaft. The stud that goes into the body is broke off

fivestardsm

Sorry, I miss understood that. The only way to get to those, is to go under the rear seat and cut a hole in the frame rail to exspose the head. Let me know what you decide to do, I can get you one out of an AWD dsm. They are the same. Also, would you happen to have a pic, just so Im still not confused?

gtluke

cut it off clean, drill it out. install a long bolt from the inside of the car and weld it in place.
that sucks dude, sounds like a bitch.

Rausch

I have one broken on the front carrier.

The original plan was to drill it out (successful) and then re-tap. There is enough material up top, as there is a nut welded up there, to pull this off.

All was going well until the tap sheared. (F-U-D-G-E).....

I wound up tacking the flange up (bearing flange) to hold in in the short term, and car was parked shortly after.

Best solution I have come up with, to do it right anyways, would be to cut the bracket out of the car, fix, re weld in a new stud, and weld the assembly back in.

In your case, I'd suggest drill/tap. JUST BUY A GOOD TAP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Armitage

This happened to me many years ago. I drilled out the remnants of the old stud and tapped the hole. I used a big thick exhaust manifold type stud (threaded on both ends) from the auto parts store in the hole and it's been fine ever since. You could use some threadlocker or jbweld or something to ensure it never backs out, but I've got at least 5 years of abusive driving/rallyx on mine with no issues.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned