The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does anyone still make a BBK kit?

coyotes

Been looking into upgraded brake kits. Other than the $3000+ ones on Ebay no one has money for, are there still bracket kits anyone makes? I had a Baer kit on 981/1000 and loved it when I owned that car, but seems to be hard to find any upgrades now. What's out there, anything?

CutlassJim

Is a BBK kit like a big brake kit kit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

turbohf

you can use any kit from a DSM i gather, but that assumes you have 5lug swap also.

click that link is one i seen posted a little while ago in a thread.

i am also very curious about BBK, but for 4lug setup, not 5lug.

so im in for more info also.

coyotes

Quoting Racah15:
I have a Baer kit for sale if you're interested?

$$$? pics, info?

coyotes

I have seen those VR4 ones, but not sure I want to do a VR4 caliper. Seems a lot more pad options, and cheaper, to go with something universal like a Baer or Wilwood caliper. I am mostly just looking for the bracket, but seems like something custom would have to be fabricated.

prove_it

Try google. I tried DSM brake upgrade. Third result down was RTM. They carry all the "normal" upgrades available.

RTM brake upgrades

turbofonz

My friend is selling his kit. it was on a 1g. I'm not sure if the rotors are also 4 lug. the calipers are new OEM mustang cobra iirc.

ToddTCE

Quoting mitsuturbo:
click

Contact the guy that puts those kits together. He can price out the same thing with 4 lug rotors for VR4.

Most all of our TCE kits are set up for both 4 and 5 lug fit. The 1G Eclipse kits are a direct fit for that reason.

blacksheep

Todd - I see you posting all the time on FocusST.org - I still want to justify those bolt-on calipers you are selling for my FoST... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ToddTCE

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Certainly been around here far longer then on the FoST board. Eclipse (Galant) kits go back over 13yrs. Caliper kits are nice for some but as I've said; they aren't a substitute for a full big brake kit either. The good news is that the FoST has waaaay more rotor stock than a Galant or Eclipse ever dreamed of coming with at 12.4". We used to make "kits" at 12.2 back when...

r4pt0x

Why not just use the Mitsubishi 2-pot caliper with mounting brackets and discs from the Outlander Model?
The 2-pot calipers can be found in sigma, oulander, evo3 and some other models - so very easy to find.
Decent brake pads are easily available from e.g. pagid, ferodo or carbone lorraine as its the evo 3 pad form for all these 2-pot brake systems and with the 296mm evo4 discs its a great improvement. You can also use outlander discs, but they have a different ventilation to the evo4 ones (non-brembo / gravel spec brakes!).

For the rear: just remove the ABS hydraulic unit + "delay valve" at the firewall to get full brake pressure on the rear wheels. Stock or mild upgrade pads match perfectly to the 296mm with decent brake pads.
I don't know the correct translation for the valve at the firewall - it retards the ABS pulses to the rear wheels to prevent simultaneous pulsation on front + rear wheels. some of these valves also limit the maximum pressure to the rear wheels. however, the linear pressure reduction is done within the ABS hydraulic unit.

I drove this setup with pagid rs 4-2 pads at the front and ebc green stuff at the rear for several years in an Galant FWD Turbo with long gearbox - even high-speed braking from >250kph or hunting 4WDs up and down the mountain roads here in the area was no problem.
I wouldn't use the EBC pads anymore, but pagid were too agressive for FWD (light rear) and they were lying around - i think for 4WD pagid 4-2 at the rear would also work. At least this will be my initial setup at the VR4 rebuild i'm currently working on...

LIV4PSI

^^^USDM VR4s come with 2 pot front calipers. So if I am understanding correctly, they wouldn't be an upgrade.

EHmotorsports

the outlander 2 pots accommodate the bigger diameter rotors. that is where the increased braking will come from.

r4pt0x

For the VR4 2-pot it would only need the outlander brackets to use the 296mm discs.

Brembo is of course the best option you can choose from all OEM variants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (but also the most expensive)

mitsuturbo

Quoting Kentstatetsi:
Non turbo 3s cars have 2 piston fronts that bolted right on my front. I'm running evo 8 17's though.

This is not an upgrade.
These are the exact same thing that comes stock on GVR4.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned