The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TURBO questions

clevr4

okay so I got the turbo and setup in the mail. thank you boosted! I checked my situation today. my water pipe has a pipe going down that is crimped or something. I took a picture of it with a cell phone just waiting on that to charge and ill post. I may be able to use my current down pipe and just remove the o2 housing. I think I'm down to just needing a couple gaskets. coolant lines and maybe a new feed line as well? the feed line on my turbo is just screw style. I don't have a banjo bolt. what else uses a banjo bolt on the turbo?

clevr4

any clue what my oil feed line is and whats my solution to fitting it to the new 16g?

clevr4

okay so ive done some reading... I do have an external oil cooler. is adding coolant lines to the turbo necessary? I did see your post about 20k+ miles as a dd might show through. I'm just worried about my water pipe and the line that feeds the turbo from there. seems like mine was hacked.

thomcasey

You would find the outlet for the turbo water/coolant feed behind the turbo. If there is a blocked off port, then you have the correct connections to run coolant. But, if they installed a non-turbo water-pipe (very common) then the pipe will be smooth with no outlet.

prove_it

Looks like a NA water pipe to me. Not hard to swap though.

Personally, and it's just my opinion, but I would set up coolant lines. Not necessary, but it does help the center section run cooler and keeps oil on the bearings happier. Parts aren't that much and it's not much work to run them. Looks like the thermostat housing has the fitting, but it's just plugged off.

You'll need the water pipe form a turbo car, plus the lines.

All the fittings at the turbo are banjo bolts, except the turbo drain. The oil feed at the head is banjo as well.

clevr4

how do you remove the water pipe from the water pump? and my oil feed line isn't coming out of stock location. I have a hard line coming from the adjacent corner and my stock location is bolted.

prove_it

Water pipe just slides into the water pump. You'll need a new o-ring, otherwise it's one or two bolts to remove. Really easy once turbo/manifold are off.

Oil feed can be moved, both spots have same oil flow/pressure. You can just move the bolt to the current feed hole. Same thread and size.

clevr4

youre telling me once I get down there with everything removed undo 2 bolts on water pipe and it will just slide out of the water pump? how does it not leak? my hard oil line outlet looks a bit smaller than stock location but ill further investigate..... its coming together. maybe be a week or 2 before I have all the necessary things. but its going to be done right

thomcasey

There is an O-ring on the end to seal it up (cooling system is only under 13psi). Once you undo the two bolts, just a couple little twists and it will wiggle out.

prove_it

Quoting clevr4:
maybe be a week or 2 before I have all the necessary things. but its going to be done right

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif So proud right now.

clevr4

okay I was under the impression the pipe that goes to turbo from water pipe was not replaceable on the water pipe. I have turbo water pipe but the turbo line is welded shut. anyone have a replacement ?

marvinmadman

I used the old water nipple that used to be for the stock water/oil cooler. It's near the dipstick

Last edited:

clevr4

I don't have one of those... there is nothing near my dip stick.

OldHairyBastard

You really don't need the water lines hooked up. Most of the time your oil temp is less than the coolant temp. Unless in are in boost all of the time like a rally car then it isn't needed. If your in cold weather though it helps with heating up the bearings and quicker for better oil flow as it takes a while to heat up the oil to operating temp. Your fine without them.

clevr4

alright, just got internet in my new place. have been thinking about the swap. down to needing only a few more parts. the question is. should I try to swap out the hard turbo pipe from water pipe I currently have installed or buy a whole new water pipe and ring?

other than that, all I need is both coolant lines, oil feed line, and a way to block my current feed location.

clevr4

well me being on the internet late at night usually makes me find something I don't understand. for the 16g turbo I have I don't have to run a coolant line to the block? it just goes straight from water pipe to the turbo right? If this is the case I cant find the part number for the pipe that comes off the water pipe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned