The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Different crank pulley sizes

trunks

I'm putting my engine back together and the new engine I bought had some sort of aftermarket crank pulley. It's a lot larger than the other and I was wondering if I'm going to have problems with my accessory belts if I strap it on there? Anybody ever done this?

Thanks!

nickbuilt

u might have to grind the front plastic timing cover were it has the numbers for timing but then you wouldnt have anyway to set ignition timing, also you will have to get different size belts!

-nick

belize1334

I don't see any reason to run a crank pulley that's both bigger and solid. The point of the solid aluminum pulleys is run smaller and lighter, both for reduced MOI and so that your accessories won't spin as fast and rob power. Bigger will cause your accessories to over-spin which could even damage them at high enough rpm. Also, you lose the harmonic damping effect which can cause crank and/or component failure. IMHO you should only ever run a stock crank pulley, or if you're feeling frisky you can use either a FluiDamper pulley or one of the Buschur units. The FluiDampers are a little pricier but they're also more sophisticated.

Last edited:

trunks

Okay - thanks for the replies. I'll just put the oem one back on there. I just kind of liked the bling blingy one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned