The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How much play should be in the rods/crank.

JackstandTSi

So i have this complete block wrapped up sitting in my basement. I traded my entire front end from my talon for a complete bottom end, and non turbo head with SS valves. I was always told that there should be a little movement where the rods meet the crank then i was told that there shouldn't be any movement at all. I was told that this motor was running when pulled 5 years ago. Then again told rebuilt less than a year ago with Hastings rings and ACL Bearings and stock rod bolts. I noticed in Cylinder 4 has more play than 1-3 not much more but still noticeable. This is really my first complete engine rebuild or anything major. Anything in particular i should be looking for on the rod caps or crank itself. Im thinking of just buying some bearings with ARP Rod bolts. Any pics people have of scoring and damage i might be able to compare to, And also should i put some oil or engine lube of some sort on the cylinder walls since its been sitting and try to hand turn the motor. I can have pics soon I'm waiting on the return of my engine stand...that i have never got to use yet in the 6 months I've owned it lol. Again this is my first major engine build/rebuild/teardown.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Mac

Sounds like you need to get your service manual out and measure all of the tolerances.

rdomeck

Go to your local auto parts store and ask them for Plastigauge. Should be available in different thickness. I know that Napa keeps it in stock. Pull a rod cap off, put a piece of plasti gauge in and re-install the rod cap and torque the bolts. DO NOT ROTATE THE ENGINE!!!! Pull the rod cap back off and measure the tolerance. I'm sure a quick google search will show you how! Repeat for all rods and mains.

Do not rely on feel or anyone else looking at it. Measure it and know for yourself what the clearance is!

Street Surgeon

Grab a feeler gauge / plastiguage and find out for yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's what it should measure out to be.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Do you mean play this way (engine oriented upright) between crank weights

or this way /\ (up and down)?
\/

EMX5636

Between the weights side-side is side clearance as measured with feeler gauges. Bearing (or oil) clearance is the difference between the I.D. of the bearing and the O.D. of the crankshaft. That is either plastigauge or micrometers.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned