The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Looking for Pulley options....

mean_green

Been forever and ever since I've posted on here but I do still check in from time to time. Regardless,

I'm finally back to wrenching on my galant and I have found assembling my motor that my crank pulley looks terrible, a bunch of rubber is pulling and flaking out plus it is nicked up etc. I plan to just buy an oem one to replace this. Cannot really afford ATI or Fluidamper and this is just an oem refresh block anyway.

My next problem is the water pump pulley is really beat up as well, along w the power steering pulley. Your guess is as good as mine what might have happened to them in their past lol.

Now I was wondering if I could maybe pick up this machv pulley kit FOR THE 2G click and be alright, tried to research on dsmtuners some but wasn't really finding anything that made sense. Id like the 2g set since it comes w a new ps pulley as well as wp pulley and then I would just add an oem crank pulley to finish it all off. Thoughts?? I suppose I would have to switch the belt up some from v-belt to ribbed maybe? Which might be a hidden bonus...

TIA,
-Alan

tektic

Odds are if it says it's 2g specific it doesn't fit.

I cleaned up my wp and psp pullies with a wire wheel. They came out fine. If your harmonic balancer is loosing rubber you should replace it with an oem or used oem. The stock aftermarket "doorman" balancers have been known to fail in short order. you can try to order a barkly&arnes and hope for oem, but oem is probably the best bet.

Wizardawd

Easy enough to switch out the PS pulley to a 2g style pulley. Allows you to get rid of that squealing, overpriced PS V-belt to a nice serpentine belt.

My Dorman balancer has been transferred between 3 different cars over the last 8 years. Holding up fine.

Wiz

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting tektic:
you can try to order a barkly&arnes and hope for oem,

Did you mean Beck Arnley?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Wizardawd:
a nice serpentine belt.

FYI, not really a serpentine belt, just a ribbed belt. Serpentine technically means one belt that runs all or most of the accessories with a common tensioner (snakes around like a serpent, you see?)

Coltsfan

I've been running a Dorman harmonic balancer on my Colt for a few years now too. I mostly use the car to rev to the moon and launch at 5750, so no complaints here. The V belt on my Galant on the other hand, wears out every 1000 miles. :-/

prove_it

And FYI, those belts are now called drive belts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

prove_it

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Your mom is a drive belt.

Your mom is a crank pulley.

prove_it

Ba dum diss.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Wizardawd

Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting Wizardawd:
a nice serpentine belt.

FYI, not really a serpentine belt, just a ribbed belt. Serpentine technically means one belt that runs all or most of the accessories with a common tensioner (snakes around like a serpent, you see?)

Serpentine originally was used in automotive industry to mean just that. Wheras V-belt or multi-ribbed belt is more accurate. In my parts catalog, it lists all multi-rib drive belts as serpentine even though (i agree with you ice) you can sometimes have more than one. Just a habit after working in parts for so long.

I think it's because people have an easier time saying serpentine belt rather than multi-ribbed drive belt.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned