The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

did i destroy this?

EHmotorsports

Info on what you want to know? better pics? more pics?

tektic

It went in slightly crooked. Is there any way to test the seal without installing the transmission? What can I show a picture of?

EHmotorsports

ok so your concern was the seal not seating right? as far as this pic it looks ok. maybe have a shot from the side? how it sits on the trans?

Olson

Just do it right, replace the seal then you wont have to worry about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

If you look at the construction on seals, you'll see that you do have some wiggle room as far as getting it straight on. These kind of seals are meant to move a bit to compensate for this. As long as it's not a huge difference then your probably ok. It sounds like your nervous though. Listen to your gut, if it's telling you it's wrong, then it's wrong and replace it for cheap insurance.

tektic

Necro this old three to say it does leak but I'm not sure that the seal is the problem. I remember someone saying that the axle half shaft had some special hardware used to install it. I'm thinking I'm missing somthing and the angle is bad. I had two grade 10 bolts and 2 lock washers holding the half shaft bracket directly to the block. Is that correct?

I pulled the axle out and there's a ton of fluid still in the trans being held by this seal. So I'm going to change it after I drain it but I don't think its to blame for my smallish leak. Found the discussion about ac bracket spacer but I'm still using ac. This is an automatic axle.

Side note: I changed the input shaft seal on my transfer case and it got pressed in a lot further than the old one. Is that bad?

Found a goober post that says it should be fine.

Last edited:

EMX5636

Only thing I can see wrong with that, is the seal looks upside-down. There is a hole in the rubber dust boot that is supposed to be at 6:00 for any water to drain before it gets a chance to get past the inner seal. I've seen them installed like that with no ill-effects though, so just letting you know for next time.

As far as the T-case seal, you gotta watch, because some seals are just supposed to be flush, and don't have a step or lip to stop them. So it is possible to press them too far inside. If it's close, and currently not leaking, then you should be fine though.

Last edited:

tektic

thank you.

Yes the hole should be at the bottom, and it is but the first picture was taken at a weird angle.

The reason it leeked was the carrier bearing bracket IS different between the auto and manual. I am trying to find the right cv boot to use the manual intermediate shaft, the one that came with the transmission swap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned