The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

bent wheels

I just bought wheels from some guy off craigs list, and it turns out there bent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif well i didnt know this untill i put tires on and i eather have to run these bent rims or buy new ones. I am ok with running them unless there going to destroy my new tires. You can feel it just a little bit when driving but does anyone have a idea what it'll do to my car/tires?

chvtec33

It's going to tear up tires that are on the bent wheels, its like having a bad alignment or bad shocks. The tires are going to feather or chop.

I wouldnt even consider putting bent wheels on my car. Take em off and recycle them.

UGH sh*t thats what i was afraid of so whats the best way to find wheels that will fit my new tires?

iLLeffeKt vr-4

How bad are the bends? In some cases they can be fixed.

atc250r

Staff member
Depending on how badly they are bent I would possibly re-use them. I've seen dozens of customers' cars with bent wheels that did not result in tire wear problems.

John

chvtec33

If he says he can feel it while driving it must be bad enough and it will wear the tire just like a bad wheel balance.

boosted_85

What kind of rims are these and how bad is the bend? Is the lip itself flatten or is it out of round? Also you can have mobile wheel repair guys fix the wheel for $50 a wheel.

turbowop

Flat spots around the rim don't usually cause vibrations, at least not that I've ever seen. This sounds a bit more serious than that. Is there a way to fix a wheel that is bent/wobbly? I would just get your money back.

Last edited:

fivestardsm

Quoting MTB:
I just bought wheels from some guy off craigs list, and it turns out there bent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif well i didnt know this untill i put tires on and i eather have to run these bent rims or buy new ones. I am ok with running them unless there going to destroy my new tires. You can feel it just a little bit when driving but does anyone have a idea what it'll do to my car/tires?

Did you have a competent shop balance them? Were they Static balanced (old school) or Dynamic balanced (spun on a balancer)? You probably do have a bent rim, but if it is only the lip that is bent, then you can straighten it out, and have it re-balanced. I have done this many times with no problems after. Also, didn the person that balanced them tell you the rims were bent?

chvtec33

The difference between static and dynamic balancing is where the wheel weight is positioned. Static balancing is a the weight only on the inside and dynamic is on inside and outside of the wheel. Your thinking of the old school bubble balancers where you put weight onto the wheel till it sits level.

fivestardsm

This is the bubble balancer which actually, I was not refering to, but it is a method of "static" balancing.. click
I hope they didnt use one of these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

This is a Static Balancer... click

These are the Dynamic balancer's... click

Definition

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned